• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Getting my CUCV today!

Discojon75

Reaction score
Its been semi-converted to civilian use. New bumpers, split windows, and a paint job. I was explicitly told on another forum that it was NOT a CUCV, but the VIN matches. 1G8ED18J6EF###### when checked against http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard84.pdf shows it to be a CUCV!

Oh, and this is my first post! Without further ado, here's a picture! She's beautiful! I like the camo look from the originals, but this looks sharp too!

Now... to find a spare set of wheels and some winter tires...

4167653735_2a7e32573e_b.jpg

CUCVs have a different vin plate. It should say "property of US govt" on it. Also it will have a TH400. None of the civlian Blazers came with a TH400 behind the 6.2 to my knowledge. They all had POS TH700r4s. CUCVs were 24v start but that may have all been removed from yours but might find tell tale signs on the firewall from where the resisitor was. Also the CUCVs did not have the sound proofing on the firewall. Nice looking truck. That is probably a different cap alogether if it was a CUCV.

i was unaware that they ever made any k5s with the 6.2 other than the military ones i know they made the subs and later the 2 door tahoes butdidnt think any of the 80's blazers came with them

Ah.. a plate like this?
4187078502_5ebe63c9f2_b.jpg

Sorry for the overexposure in this picture. My photography class instructor would yell at me.
4186316693_4b25fc7817_b.jpg

Bolts on the side where I assume the radio was mounted...
4187075012_b4e9b0e280_b.jpg

The owner before me installed a center console out of another Blazer.
4186314065_a5d6bd2610_b.jpg

oh yeah. no grey area there. That is a CUCV M1009. Don't let any one tell you it's not.Even has the NATO plugn under the dash. Hard to tell from the pics if it still had the pass side alt. if not it most likley has been converted to 12v . Cowboy , they made many K5 with 6.2s in Civillian. Look at the 91 Black and red one in my Photo Album.

Last edited:
Since you no longer have the Blackout lights PM me. I have a Nice chrome dash I'll trade you for the one you have and the switches.

oh yeah. no grey area there. That is a CUCV M1009. Don't let any one tell you it's not.Even has the NATO plugn under the dash. Hard to tell from the pics if it still had the pass side alt. if not it most likley has been converted to 12v . Cowboy , they made many K5s in Civillian. Look at the 91 Black and red one in my Photo Album.

i know they made them in civillian i just didnt think they made them in civillian with the 6.2 from the factory

That's nice! And BTW, Welcome to The Truck Stop!

Thanks a bunch! I'm glad to be here! My buddy had a 700r4 transmission that he suggested I should put in to improve my gas mileage, but I'm thinking I'm going to be pretty darned happy with the THM400. Anyone know what kind of gas mileage I can reasonably expect?

Do not put a 700 in there, you will be happy with the 400! My buddy has a couple of these and I dont know the MPGs but it dose very good, we drive them hill climbing all the time :)

MPGs suck on the m1008 but probably not bad on the M1009 as you have much better gearing(typically 3.08). Deere is right. 700r4=junk. The later ones can be built to reasonable standards but still no comparison to to a TH400. If you want overdrive the two ways I'd go about it(which are pricey) is a 4l80e with a compushift standalone controller or keep the TH400 and install a gear vendors OD unit. Civilian Blazers were availible with 6.2 from 1982 right until the end of the bodystyle in 1991. They are out there if you look hard enough. Of course finding one in 2009 that isn't a pile of rust is another story.

MPGs suck on the m1008 but probably not bad on the M1009 as you have much better gearing(typically 3.08). Deere is right. 700r4=junk. The later ones can be built to reasonable standards but still no comparison to to a TH400. If you want overdrive the two ways I'd go about it(which are pricey) is a 4l80e with a compushift standalone controller or keep the TH400 and install a gear vendors OD unit. Civilian Blazers were availible with 6.2 from 1982 right until the end of the bodystyle in 1991. They are out there if you look hard enough. Of course finding one in 2009 that isn't a pile of rust is another story.

OH thats cool i was unaware learn somethin every day

Back