• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Get A Load Of This 6.5

bowtiebutler956

Reaction score
The ad says its built by GM for the H1, but alot of the parts don't look GM to me. Its uses a standard truck intake with a custom adapter to go to what appears to be an aftermarket turbo. Almost looks like an ATT. Has a custom exhaust going to the turbo, and I can see the top of the DB2 IP in one of the pics. As far back as the exhaust extends behind the engine, it would be impossible to fit in our trucks, but it looks like it would be sweet for a Hummer. Not to mention, with it using the standard intake, it would also have the 90* heads like our trucks. If it is a brand new optimizer, then its a good price. Will L., I think you should take a look at this one. It looks like it might do a great job of really waking a H1 up.:thumbsup:
It was so cool looking, I had to share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-6-5-Tur...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4468570e&vxp=mtr

Matt

I would not have been able to fit it in mine without doing a body lift of a couple inches and custom dog house. N/A hummers and hmmwvs came with that intake/ head set up.
Cool set up. All military trucks get a db2 that are spec for going to battle for variable fuel and emp resistance. Note the oil centrifuge is that on the back. What's the solenoid-??? Yes it should be an optimizer. good priceIt is one of the updated banks kits that were done for the up-armored units 245 hp. banks sidewinder turbo, banks modified db2,etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMsrjeny5pE

I would guess that the solenoid is for the glow plugs.

I wonder what exhaust manifolds were used? I would really like to know as that is what I need to set up for a 6.2 in my Toyota FJ-40. I've often wondered what performance in my 40 would be like with a center mount turbo. Should be real good. However, my first priority in my plans for a 6.2/6.5 diesel in the 40 is for fuel economy which means N/A. The stock Toyota 6 cylinder is not known for good fuel mileage.

Don

The exhaust manifolds are hummer or van 6.5 turbo manifolds. I think your right on the solenoid.

On the n/a being better mileage than the turbo- I hear a lot of people saying that, but mine is better with the turbo.

I went from n/a 6.5 to adding a gm6, turn up the fuel screw 1/2 turn, swapped out factory n/a injectors for used factory turbo injectors with 5,000 miles more on them. My exhaust- went from the hummer n/a headers through a y pipe (all factory) to , van exhaust manifolds, factory up pipes, gm6, then the factory small single down pipe (1 1/2" maybe) down across the the flywheel cover, then back to the larger hummer 2" exhaust. Definitely chokes it up more. I'm still wanting to put in the 4" pipe I have sitting here for the new exhaust, just no time.

For a while I drove it exactly like I had before- foot on the floor from every stop sign or light. I sure got up to speed quicker- HUGE DIFFERENCE! At the end of multiple tank fulls same exact mileage of 10.4. So after a couple discussions, I just filled up today my tank for 7 tank fulls driving it as close to the old rate of acceleration as I could how fast it was before turbo. 11.5 mpg is my average.

I show driving at the same speed as I could go n/a, a gain of 1.1 mpg having added the turbo It is 1.2 gain street and 1.1 including freeway and street, never burned an entire tank on road trip yet. Something else I figured out is my 1/2 turn on the fuel screw might be a tiny bit much. Maybe 45% of a turn would have been perfect, as judged by the puff-o-smoke meter in my side mirror. Turbovanman added a non waste-gate turbo to his van, and I don't think his mpg dropped either. One thing about it, if non turbo was more fuel efficient, wouldn't semi trucks all have an auto bypass? Just my 2 cents and 1.1 mpg.

I think there are a lot of variable factors in mileage. When I was talking economy I was thinking of my 1983 6.2 half ton pickup.

I picked it up real cheap and was planning to cut it down and make a trailer. I drove it for a while first to get an idea how well it ran as I was wondering if I would be able to put the motor directly into my FJ-40. With the N/A 6.2 pre-cups, 700R4 tranny, and what proved to be obviously high miles on the motor (oil burner and leaker), I got around 17 MPG.

I then started using it just around the place and it proved to be so handy I never made the trailer-yet. The tranny just recently died, but then I got to thinking about the SM-465 manual I have setting in a shed, and maybe this winter----.

Don

That is cool, definately a one off setup. Very nicely packaged.

I am the same as Will, mileage went up, especially towing and hilly trips.

It kind looks like what I'm supposed to be getting from Peninsular Diesel for my motorhome, someday. I copied these pics from their website. I only ordered it in July.

The turbo looks like the one Peninsular uses too. This is one I have sitting here for a different project

pic00007.jpgpic00006.jpgIMGP2393.jpg

Looks a little like how they did the 6.5 td downunder in the Burb but custom that looks like a centrifuge up top to the right however the back says HMMWV or van.

Exhaust looks great. What trans is that?

Looks like an ALLISON 100 with an SAE #2 bellhousing and an adapter to go from GM SAE #7 to SAE #2. Have no idea why tehy would have used the adapter though when the SAE #7 GM 90 degree bolt pattern bellhousing is available and easy to come by from any 2500/3500 truck with a DURAAMX or 8.1L.

2nd engine: If you look at the oil in /out for the turbo, it is not a center mount design turbo, but a regular flange mount. I can't make out what turbo it is. They have redesigned it to be in that location, and very nicely I might add. Liking that exhaust work, heat shield is ok, but makes me wish whoever did the exhaust would have had free reign on that cover to continue the magic.

Back