• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gell Or? Help

May be a dumb question but I know NSBU switches can freeze or ice up and throw all kinds of crazy codes. I have no idea though if they still use those in the newer generation trucks though.

my truck set the ''low pressure fuel'' code 2 times yesterday -31 and day before -25,, i just let it run and cleared the code and it runs fine,,i won't keep buying $40 gm filters,and yes i do add ps

My fuel gelled up in WI when the ambient tempature dropped to -27 degrees, GM sure didnt make them fuel filters fun to change in an emergancy, I limped it around for a day until the temps came up to the positive single digits.

May be a dumb question but I know NSBU switches can freeze or ice up and throw all kinds of crazy codes. I have no idea though if they still use those in the newer generation trucks though.
I saw your post just before I left Nick. The more I thought about it the more sense it made after the deep snow I was blasting through. I'll get down there and pull the connector tomorrow and see what it looks like. Probably a good candidate for stuffing the connector full of dielectric grease. It was low +20s today (balmy) so after about 10 key cycles the CEL reset.
I'm thinking the U0100 is a connection (at NSBU?) problem resulting in P0700 and locking me in 2nd gear, P0234 is a fluke, P0106 has to do with the extreme cold, P0299 is right after I fueled and went into P0700 again... or maybe I am just full of shit...
Any way, I don't think it was a gell problem, I think I just got so much snow and ice packed everywhere and then was out for many hours in such extreme cold that it just made it worse.

my truck set the ''low pressure fuel'' code 2 times yesterday -31 and day before -25,, i just let it run and cleared the code and it runs fine,,i won't keep buying $40 gm filters,and yes i do add ps

I can do a little better than that on Wix filters, Donaldsons are a bit more, pm if interested.

i will pm you because i do need filters too though,,,i just think its a waste of time to replace them[fuel filters] everytime fuel gells,,i really think the ''ulsd'' diesel is the real problem[i don't think that there are the proper additives in it]i think we are getting screwed ,,i never have had a problem untill the[fuel companys] were forced by the gov to sell these fuels and ive driven diesel trucks for the past 20 years,,i'll bet i could get every gelled filter and use them and never have to replace those with a new store bought filter again

Mike:
I am just curious, do you run the front winter grill cover? It seems that lately, more problems are associated with water in the fuel rather that the fuel gelling. It could be a freezing problem with the fuel rather than a gelling problem. If you are not running the front grill cover, you should try it. Don't worry about overheating, as the 2006's cool very well.

I hear what your saying about the snow, and I remember a year or so ago, there was a lot of problems associated with snow buildup under the fenders and causing havoc. Maybe your MAF or MAP sensors froze up from the snow? Just a thought. GM was aware of this issue, and I think put out a TSB on it.

Don't get down on these trucks, as they are still the best out there! Be positive. ;)

i will pm you because i do need filters too though,,,i just think its a waste of time to replace them[fuel filters] everytime fuel gells,,i really think the ''ulsd'' diesel is the real problem[i don't think that there are the proper additives in it]i think we are getting screwed ,,i never have had a problem untill the[fuel companys] were forced by the gov to sell these fuels and ive driven diesel trucks for the past 20 years,,i'll bet i could get every gelled filter and use them and never have to replace those with a new store bought filter again

You dont think you'll have a problem with those filters? My experience has been that they were waxed over, not just clogged with gelled up fuel.

Mike:
I am just curious, do you run the front winter grill cover? It seems that lately, more problems are associated with water in the fuel rather that the fuel gelling. It could be a freezing problem with the fuel rather than a gelling problem. If you are not running the front grill cover, you should try it. Don't worry about overheating, as the 2006's cool very well.

I hear what your saying about the snow, and I remember a year or so ago, there was a lot of problems associated with snow buildup under the fenders and causing havoc. Maybe your MAF or MAP sensors froze up from the snow? Just a thought. GM was aware of this issue, and I think put out a TSB on it.

Don't get down on these trucks, as they are still the best out there! Be positive. ;)

No, this one didn't come with the cover so I don't run it. I looked a couple of times for one and no luck and we so seldom need it. I did think about it though and wished I had it last week. I used it on my LLY and really liked it.
I think the snow may have been the problem with the MAP/MAF because it was just powder due to the extreme cold. If it had been a heavier, wet snow I doubt it would have been an issue. Also, I don't think the snow under the fenders was a problem any more after they went to the round Donalson filters in '06.
Not to worry, I'd never get down on this truck. 82k trouble free miles...How could I. Still love it but I'm bringing the code reader with me so I can reset it.
JUST in case there's a next time;) 2 times limping 35 miles at -15* or lower is about 3 x too many...
Thanks!

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. But isn't his inside his tranny?
The p0700 is just the tcm telling the ecm to light the cel. And the u0100 is just a comm problem I think. So it could still be a loose/dirty connection to the trans.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. But isn't his inside his tranny?
The p0700 is just the tcm telling the ecm to light the cel. And the u0100 is just a comm problem I think. So it could still be a loose/dirty connection to the trans.
Inside? Really... I didn't know that. Didn't slide under there to look at it today. The shop floor is so full of crap and slushy stuff from the weather lately I decided to wait until it dries and I could sweep it down first. The explanation on the P0700s coincides with the 2 x it went into limp then. If nothing else, the education on these trucks continues...

nsbu switchs are on the inside of the trannys after 2006,you really need to put a grille cover on ,it will keep the eng up t the proper temps

S'pose you're right. Just got to find a supplier other than dealer and then the $.

Thanks Jeff, Also saw a factory one on ebay at $60 + shipping. Seller has several but I'm gonna have to beg (clean the bathroom or something) for the $...j/k

Back