• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gell Or? Help

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Truck sat outside in -12 all day and when I started home after a 15 min warmup idle (high idle disabled) it went into limp with a CEL (2000 rpm and 2nd gear max) for the first couple of miles then got on I80 and it ran doggy but ok. 25 miles later at the exit it went into limp again so the next 35 miles it was 2000/2nd gear at 25mph. Pulled into my shop, stoked up the wood stove (it was about 32* in there) and changed the fuel filter. Didn't see any sign of water of snot when I drained it. It's -22* right now so I'll wait for a test ride tomorrow AM. I did 5 or 6 key cycles and didn't get the CEL to reset. I don't have a code reader.
Any input appreciated

Yeah, I poured about 10 oz of PS (white) in to 1/2 tank when I changed the filter and will be bringing it with for fill up tomorrow. I neglected to put additive in last fill up which is usually no big deal down to about zero. This is the coldest we've had since about 12 years ago and I didn't have a diesel back then. 1st time I ever gelled!

Well it was 40* in the shop this AM and -26* outside. Truck ran fine all the way to work (60 mi). I stopped at Pilot to fill up and add some more PS but their diesel pumps were shut down for some strange reason...;)
Any way the CEL is still on. I need to get some advice on a code reader/reset to get. Don't say programmer... I can't spare the $. Wish I could.

If you don't have the problem anymore the cel should reset after ? times of starting it. Not sure how many times it takes.

Any way the CEL is still on. I need to get some advice on a code reader/reset to get. Don't say programmer... I can't spare the $. Wish I could.

Stop by and Autozone if you have one around and have them read it and clear it until you have some $$ to spend. BTW programmer.....had to say it. :D

At least you made it to your shop. I spent about an hour in a gas station parking lot this morning at 6am changing both my fuel filters. It was -8 according to the temp gauge on the mirror. Still not sure what happened cause the fuel in both filters was not gelled. I filled up last night and added the usual 4oz of Total Power from FPPF. I think it might have just been time for the 2 micron filter to get changed. One thing that sucks about my SD lift pump/filter is the fact that it pours diesel all down you arm if you have more than about 1/3 of a tank, yep mine was damn near full this morning.:mad5:

I had -27 here this morning, truck fired right up. Let it idle for about an hour then went to go look at a job. Had 0 issues with it, i also run no additive but my fuel is cut 50% with kero.

I had -27 here this morning, truck fired right up. Let it idle for about an hour then went to go look at a job. Had 0 issues with it, i also run no additive but my fuel is cut 50% with kero.
Supposed to be cut 50% here too... Tell that to all the guys sitting on the side of the road today. I believe that might be why Pilot locked out their pumps last night... At least I don't feel like the Lone Ranger:D

-10 here last night and mine was gelled when I went to leave this morning. I filled up yesterday at a different station and I was out of Stanadyne. Guess I learned a lesson too. I had never had a problem until today.

Gell Round 2

Well I left work after a good high idle enabled warm up and -4* temp. Went to Pilot again after 25 miles of running fine and their pumps were open again after being locked out this AM. Problem over right? Dumped in about 12 oz PS and filled up with 19 gals. By then it was about -8*. Truck was idling while I filled it. Went into limp as soon as I left. Stopped at another station and bought a qt of PS 911 and dumped in about 20 oz. No help. It limped at 25 mph for the rest of the 35 mi home. Boy am I PI$$ED OFF! at Pilot and me for going to Pilot. Then again, it JUST COULD be something else... It's in the shop warming up and it's -15* outside. Supposed to get up near +20 tomorrow mid day (freakin' T-shirt weather lately) so I'm headed to Auto Zone to get it read and shop for a code reader then.
Stupid me... I was bragging about 82,000+ miles with zero problems and what a perfect truck it is and now I've got this and a leaky trans cooler hose. That's 2... what's #3 I wonder.

But when I pulled the filter last night there was no sign of water in it. Not even one bead in the pan I drained it into. That's what I can't figure out.:mad2: Lost sleep over this shit last night and here we go again.

Not Gell? Codes

Bought a code reader and here's what I've got:
U0100 Lost ECM/PCM communication
P0700 TCM Malfunction
P0234 Overboost = wtf?
P0106 MAP?
P0299 Underboost 1999 rpm amb air temp -13* This is the only code that came up in a freeze scan or whatever it's called. Bunch of data there.
P0700 TCM again

I don't think any of this relates to Gelled fuel or maybe P0106 and/or P0299 do.
One thing that may or may not have anything to do with it (besides temps as low as -30*) was the morning of the first day of trouble I drove 35 miles of unplowed roads with 6-8" of light powder on it and everything was packed with snow all day in -10* to -15* temps. I warmed it up without high idle which means the trans didn't warm up properly (or at all). I'll be gone until tonight so hopefully some of you will be able to add some good opinions.
Thanks guys, Mike

Back