• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel System redone

Accurately Crisply…gotta love a good autocorrect Faux Pas (sp?).
Engine was a Chrysler Blue but now, P-400 Black.
No burn outs. I was able to help Bill get his PCM tuning software and hardware to get along and se he was able to go over the previous tune and correct shifts and fuel curves. Truck doesn’t slam the shifts anymore and performance is a lot smoother. Transmission was rebuild 30K ago and I specifically asked they not install the shift kit that they did anyway. I did have a billeted Torque Converter though because the initial build in 2013 was supposedly going to make gobs of power. It was a hoot to drive but, didn’t live up to expectations. Then it all went south. Ya’ll know the long story. It’s plenty fun now though. Oh, and he did program my spare PCM with a nice hot tune for those special occasions when delusions of youth creep up on me.
Tires are date coded 2013 so they’ll be getting replaced soon. Thinking of ditching the big truck look and moving back to OEM-ish sizes around 265 70 16. Will have to get rid of the fender flares if I do. Decisions decisions.
Called it on the date aged tires. Same deal on Colby’s. Gotta replace before I do any long distance in the heat.

Called it on the date aged tires. Same deal on Colby’s. Gotta replace before I do any long distance in the heat.
When I talked to Les Schwab guys yesterday they wanted to sell me new tires. “Oh, I wouldn’t want to drive 12 hours on these.” Yeah, ok, thanks. It’s 4:00, they close in 30 min and don’t have the brand I want. These tires have the same rolling resistance as an octagon and guess which brand they do have?

Heading home this morning, now, a couple of days earlier than planned. Head cold and cough came back last night. Bee Lining it on the most direct and least preferred route but, I’m familiar with it.

We have tires far older than that in our family. Believe it or not, they're fine. If a tire has to be replaced due to an expiration date, then perhaps another manufacturer is in order.

For what it's worth, the stance on your truck is correct. I'm with Les - don't change a thing. As soon as I'm able to justify what is needed for mine to not rub with 16x10s, they'll go back on - like it was 20 years ago (well, 16.5s then. 16x10s were afterward...).

We have tires far older than that in our family. Believe it or not, they're fine. If a tire has to be replaced due to an expiration date, then perhaps another manufacturer is in order.

For what it's worth, the stance on your truck is correct. I'm with Les - don't change a thing. As soon as I'm able to justify what is needed for mine to not rub with 16x10s, they'll go back on - like it was 20 years ago (well, 16.5s then. 16x10s were afterward...).

I have bad luck with age dated tires. Usually they give it up in the heat, but I've had a tire go in the all up in MT. Trailer tires are the worst. Can't go much more than 5 years on them.

A couple years back I called the manager at Goodyear who handles all tires for the military. I was asking if there is any chance on them bringing back the GS-A for ires that was originally for the hmmwv. He said no, and that they knew it out performed the MT (Mud Terrain) in every single aspect except mud- but they don’t look like aggressive off road tires so the decision makers in the gubmint decided only MT from then on. SMH

The MTR they stopped making because the side knobbys would crack being stored outside in the southwest for 10 years, then would get installed and crack around those knobbys at year 3 on the rig.

ANYWAYS- one of the specifications of tires sold to the military is it has to have a 10 year shelf life before mounting then a 5 year life on the rig. He said it’s a lot more sulfur and a little kore other stuff in the mix to do it. He said on those 16.5 tires, fine cracking is considered ok, but when it is wide enough to slip a piece of paper in, or is longer than 12”, then chuck it. But normal tires he didn’t say.
So if it is old military tires you are running, 15 years from the DOT date code.
He said 7 years on normal tires from DOT date code is ok.

When I asked about trailer tires, he said ones that are labeled as trailer tires- they have more sulfur than normal tires and thats why they are a little more. They are good for 10 years from the DOT date code.

Truck's been running stupid for a long time. Hard to start on cool mornings and, if it doesn't catch and run, it won't start on the subsequent tries unless you A. Crank for an eternity (not good for starter) or B. let it sit for about a half-hour or more and the smoke at start up is worse than 'normal.'
Real bad grey smoke at idle on even warm days after starting. Doesn't go away for quite a while. Clatter and rattler constant after warm up.
IP won't hold timing at all.

Broad brush stroked backstory:
Spring 2013. New "ULSD" IP, rebuilt motor, High Output injectors, Air Dog DF-165 pump (15 PSI which, IMHO and Stan's. opinion, is too much).

Transmission rebuilt with billeted Torque Converter. Ordered it without a shift kit and that's the way the tunes have been built for it but, guess what, I re-read the rebuild sheet the other day and it got a shift kit. No wonder it shifts dumb.
2013 late fall. Went to 'normal' injectors for several thousand miles (truck never felt right).
Truck sat for 3+ years with fuel in it, drained it out before restarting but, never can get all of it.
Air dog failed 500 miles from home (ran better without it)
Stock LP failed 300 miles from home (ran about the same)
Normal injectors apparently were junk as none really sprayed and all popped at 3200 or above (tested myself after AK tried and couldn't get them to go)
View attachment 60502 View attachment 60503
No I didn't use a fuel additive, 2 stroke additive or otherwise for way to long as I was stupid thinking ULSD pumps don't need it....
Truck still drives ok and accelerates great once it's warmed up but doesn't feel right really. That and coal is too easy to roll so I'm watching out the rear view mirror almost as much as the windshield when accelerating. Rattle and chatter noise never goes away and is so annoying that the truck is a pretty much a hanger queen.

Bill and I have tried repeatedly to get this pig sorted out and have condemned the IP. New tunes that 'work great for everybody else' run stupid and worse than my current tune (grey smoke never goes away and/or it won't accelerate).

So,
New Fuel Tank (arrived today and currently waiting for undercoating to dry).
View attachment 60500
New Tank Sock on the shelf.
New IP on the way.
New set of Bosch injectors on the way.
New LP on shelf and Air Dog has been rebuilt.
New fuel filters on the shelf.

Blow lines out going back to fuel tank, fully drain the tank.
Replace tank and sock (will be interesting to see what that sock looks like).
Replace LP (OEM or Air Dog...not sure yet).
Replace IP.
Replace Injectors.
Hope Bill or Big T make a road trip through here with their TechII scanner so I can properly time the IP.

Should be done next week sometime. I do nothing fast anymore and besides, the injectors and IP aren't expected before Tuesday anyway.
My Tech II is up in MT. I will have April bring it next time she’s driving down and drop it off.

My Tech II is up in MT. I will have April bring it next time she’s driving down and drop it off.
Thanks but, I was describing the issues that started this thread. Truck is fine now but, I really appreciated the offer. Good talking with you tonight.

Age dated tires. These side walls are showing signs of going. The tires on my old Burb, at time of purchase, were over 20 years old and felt like plastic to the touch and handled poorly. I was nursing it home from WA (sound familiar) when in a rainstorm they gave up, hydroplaned and I flat spun 270 degrees on I-84…Pulled into the nearest Les Schwab and finished the trip on tires that were round, rubber, and handled great.
Otherwise, I agree that the tires should be judged based on condition. Still, I can see an insurance company denying a claim because one could have avoided control loss with tires less than 10 years.

Made it home tonight, safe and sound and I’m getting new tires and wheels in the morning. The Dick Cepeks will go in the storage room and await new shoes once I get towards the end of the 2 page TTD now list.

Thanks again for riding along on this thread which I consider a successful resolve of the problem.

Back