• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel pressure gauge

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
Is the cost of these gauges the reason most do not install? After looking at this again, it seems I recall why I put this off in the past. Anyone mount one under the hood in a permanent fashion? I'd like to have it in the cab for monitoring, but +$200 minimum may change my mind.

I tried the cheap mechanical ones; first one I just ran a T and the line into the cab, made the right connections so I didn't worry about diesel puddles on my carpet. I even mounted it in dash, light and all. It failed, so I got a new gauge and an isolator to be safe and avoid diesel on the carpet, isolator failed and the diesel /antifreeze took out the gauge. Now I am ordering what I should have. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Longacre-46535-Stepper-Motor-Racing-Gauge-Fuel-Pressure-0-15-PSI,60460.html
$105, free ship.
Jegs has a cheaper one but I learned my lesson. It's http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/26-503/10002/-1?parentProductId=745259#moreDetails

It would be nice to find a 2 1/16 dia. guage for a pillar pod.

I wonder if Edge offers an electronic sensor for fuel PSI to run with the CTS monitor?

There's quite a bit of pressure pulsation that results from how these solenoid/check valve lift pumps operate. I made a own snubber to restrict flow until the pulse was mostly dampened. Otherwise the gauge constantly blipped with each pump pulse. Would think that constant pulse & associated movement has to be hard on mechanical gauge works. Plus it's annoying to watch.

For the snubber, I brazed a fitting closed, & then drilled a much smaller hole in it. Took some experimenting to get the hole small enough to dampen the pulse yet still allow enough flow so the gauge is responsive to pressure changes.

There's quite a bit of pressure pulsation that results from how these solenoid/check valve lift pumps operate. I made a own snubber to restrict flow until the pulse was mostly dampened. Otherwise the gauge constantly blipped with each pump pulse. Would think that constant pulse & associated movement has to be hard on mechanical gauge works. Plus it's annoying to watch.

For the snubber, I brazed a fitting closed, & then drilled a much smaller hole in it. Took some experimenting to get the hole small enough to dampen the pulse yet still allow enough flow so the gauge is responsive to pressure changes.
That's what i did on one of my ranch trucks, i drilled a less the 1/32 hole in it
on my wife's truck i pinched the barb on the fuel line closed, there is enough leak trough to operate the gauge perfecty
On my own truck i installed a factory made snubber,..the needle still bounces.
Mine are all cheap mechanical and in cab mounted gauges,..haven't had a failure yet.

Brass valve inlet like this?

I hadn't thought about the pulsing, although, I've seen it before. This Walbro FRC type of pump does this and the stocker does not? I had one of Bill Heath's gauges on it a while back and it was nice and smooth when I had it hooked up to the bleeder valve line.

Attachments

• Brass.PNG
    Brass.PNG
    44.2 KB · Views: 3
Brass valve inlet like this?

I hadn't thought about the pulsing, although, I've seen it before. This Walbro FRC type of pump does this and the stocker does not? I had one of Bill Heath's gauges on it a while back and it was nice and smooth when I had it hooked up to the bleeder valve line.
Similar to this:Brass Valve.JPGIt uses 1/8" air line tubing.

I went with:
Gauge - Mcmaster Carr - 3846k451 at 15.00
Tube - Mcmaster Carr - 52355K51 and I used compression fittings with the brass ferule reinforcer for tube all Mcmaster also.

No isolater or snubber, but note I only have the Heath HO Pump. The tube is Teflon heavy wall good for 580PSI and of course the 1/16" wall thickness makes it more chafe resistant. Works like a charm the only downside is the Ashcroft gauge has no light and does not match my existing black face Isspro EV units, but I am too old to worry about such things.

Cheers
Nobby

I have a mechanical mounted in the cab. Fuel line ran straight off the regulator to the gauge inside and also a smaller one mounted to the regulator (albeit current broken, need a liquid filled one) under the hood.

Update; Longacre electronic gauge installed in dash, works great. It has 2 warning set points; first is a solid red light second is flashing res. These are adjustable, mine are set for 3psi and 1psi. It dropped down to 3 psi and I replaced the element in the Racor prefilter. There is a small but smooth variation in the reading instead of the jjjjumpy vibbbbrating needle on the mechanical gauges I've had. I had tried different snubbers without luck, must just be me. Never a worry about possible fuel leak inside now. Simon, you are a braver man than I. I hope this makes sense.

What was the wiring installation like? After I get Leroy's lift pump harness on to replace mine, a gauge is my next step. I bought a nice one from Smithville, but could entertain something like this - maybe I'd even keep the one I have for under the hood and use this type for in the cab.

Back