• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Leak

Shine a flashlight onto the injector lines to the IP at night while it's running. Any leak there will glisten in the light. Very easy to have leaks on improperly tightened injector lines.

My mind ALWAYS takes the more difficult path. Always thinking that something broke is going to be a lot worser than what it actually will be.
Hope You didnt have the intake meneeefold removed afore You found that leak.
Is that the hose that a clear section of tube makes a nice diagnostic tool ?

make sure that clear tube is rated for fuel. I couldn't leave mine on for too long since the tubing I bought wasn't fuel or pressure rated. I put the regular fuel hose back and keep the clear piece in the tool box now just in case lol.

The clear hose I had on mine, I didnt trust too much. When Inwas messing with thermostats, I took off that piece of clear and installed a section of translucent that is made for two stroke applications, a sort of a greenish color. It may have been yellow too. I just dont rememer.
I think it will hold up better than that section of clear, and, I figure I probably should change that out every year.

I spoke too soon. I must not have driven it enough for it to start leaking. I hope it's not the IP. It only has 10k on it. The 3 or 4 years ago it was the IP leaking that caused me to replace it.

it sounds like a return line leak. just for $hits and giggles, you might try bypassing the metal return line that runs under the intake. you'll have to make you a hose manifold that will connect the two return lines from the injectors and the IP return together and out to the tank return line in back of the engine. but if you've already eliminated all the supply lines from under the intake, that will isolate everything under there except for the IP. you might be able to conjure up some windshield washer barb unions for the injector lines or something, just don't leave those as a permanent fix! other that cutting the steel line just before it goes under the intake and running a hose over the top.

just thinking outside the box

it sounds like a return line leak. just for $hits and giggles, you might try bypassing the metal return line that runs under the intake. you'll have to make you a hose manifold that will connect the two return lines from the injectors and the IP return together and out to the tank return line in back of the engine. but if you've already eliminated all the supply lines from under the intake, that will isolate everything under there except for the IP. you might be able to conjure up some windshield washer barb unions for the injector lines or something, just don't leave those as a permanent fix! other that cutting the steel line just before it goes under the intake and running a hose over the top.

just thinking outside the box
good idea. I'll do this after I inspect the weep hole Leroy was talking about.

if I'm not mistaken, like Leroy said, it's toward the front of the IP somewhere near the bottom side. youll need a small inspection mirror and a flashlight to see it. if memory serves me right, look down under the IP just forward of the fuel shutoff solenoid area on the IP.

if I'm not mistaken, like Leroy said, it's toward the front of the IP somewhere near the bottom side. youll need a small inspection mirror and a flashlight to see it. if memory serves me right, look down under the IP just forward of the fuel shutoff solenoid area on the IP.
That's where my last IP was leaking now that I think about it.

Shine a flashlight onto the injector lines to the IP at night while it's running. Any leak there will glisten in the light. Very easy to have leaks on improperly tightened injector lines.
I found the leak. It is where Big T said it would be. It is on the 2nd IP/Injector line connector down from the top on the passenger side. I guess it could have vibrated lose. I do have extra lines if the actual line is bad. I had one go bad about 5 years ago and bought a complete set just in case it happened again. Unfortunately I have to take the lower intake off to tighten it. It drips at idle so i think it is really spraying good when driving since it really isn't enough to make it leak like it was at idle.

I am thinking of once I get it tightened I rig up a stud on each side for the grounds and start it with the intakes off to see if tightening it works or if the line needs to be replaced. Hopefully if a line needs to be replaced it is running to the driver side injectors and not the passenger.

Back