• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Leak

Just be careful a small leak getting sucked into the intake ports with the intake off can give you a run away engine
Good point. All I did yesterday was take the intake bolts/studs off. I'm thinking of just sliding the intake over just enough to tighten the line then put it back and start it. That will prevent any fuel from being sucked in.

If you can finagle some flashing or something to block any fuel spray from going towards the intake ports that might be helpful. Plus having the ability to see all the lines looking for other leaks

Got the leaky line out. Take a look at the new next to the old in the picture. I actually replaced (had my son replace) all the lines on the turbo side so we shouldn't have a leak on those for a few years at least.

We did run into a problem. My son put the lower intake on all the grounds. He decided to cycle the glow plugs to see if he could see any leaks. He said there was an electrical pop under the FFM and it started smoking. Any thoughts as to what it might be? The FFM and its plugs are elevated above the manifold so I don't think it is them. He also said some coolant leaked and ran down the valley when he reconnected the hose.

Attachments

• 20211017_155938.jpg
    20211017_155938.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 12
I found the leak. It is where Big T said it would be. It is on the 2nd IP/Injector line connector down from the top on the passenger side. I guess it could have vibrated lose. I do have extra lines if the actual line is bad. I had one go bad about 5 years ago and bought a complete set just in case it happened again. Unfortunately I have to take the lower intake off to tighten it. It drips at idle so i think it is really spraying good when driving since it really isn't enough to make it leak like it was at idle.

I am thinking of once I get it tightened I rig up a stud on each side for the grounds and start it with the intakes off to see if tightening it works or if the line needs to be replaced. Hopefully if a line needs to be replaced it is running to the driver side injectors and not the passenger.

Unfortunately, not my first rodeo. The dumber have gone before you.

Inspect the wires of ffm- without the support of the manifold the wires may have been rubbing slightly before and now had a solid contact point. Fuel heater or water in fuel sensor.
Depending where the glow plug relay was laying that could be also, but I suspect if it were that it would have been very noticeable.

Inspect the wires of ffm- without the support of the manifold the wires may have been rubbing slightly before and now had a solid contact point. Fuel heater or water in fuel sensor.
Depending where the glow plug relay was laying that could be also, but I suspect if it were that it would have been very noticeable.
Just got up not all there yet but what do you mean without the support of the FFM (unbolt it)? Where does the glow plug relay sit normally? I was thinking also that he may have pinched a wire between the intake and the block.

I think/hope I found the culprit. I just finished breakfast (not that you guy's care) and psyching myself out to do more tedious work trying to track it down. Doing a visual inspection I noticed that there is a red wire pinched between the block and intake on the back passenger side. I tried telling my son everything to watch out for and didn't tell him not to pinch any wires. :banghead:

Check out the pictures. There are 2 flat spots in the wire where it crossed over the intake hole. I checked for other burnt and open wires but can't find any. That has to be the cause but I can't find where it burned.

Attachments

• 20211023_091855.jpg
    20211023_091855.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211023_091851.jpg
    20211023_091851.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
Glow plug is most likely ok. Tape the bare spot on the wire, hook everything back up, have someone turn on the key, stand and watch. If nothing bad happens, good to go, other than that pesky prestone leak and replacing a bad GP wire.

No, it isn’t just grounding out as a concern. When the wire is smashed flat like that, it can break some of the wires inside the insulation. Especially because he heard an electrical pop. What happens is the amount of wires still left in good condition is not enough to carry the load. So now it’s like having too small a wire for something and they overheat and burn up starting inside the insulation even without it shorting out again. When the wire fails it gets crazy hot and melts out of the insulation, can start fire, etc.

I think/hope I found the culprit. I just finished breakfast (not that you guy's care) and psyching myself out to do more tedious work trying to track it down. Doing a visual inspection I noticed that there is a red wire pinched between the block and intake on the back passenger side. I tried telling my son everything to watch out for and didn't tell him not to pinch any wires. :banghead:

Careful, you can crack the intake by torquing down on a wire. Don’t ask.

It's alive. I got it done yesterday just as the started. I cut out the flat spot section and spliced in a 16 guage wire a little longer than what I took out so I have a little more slack to work with. I also replaced all the lines on turbo side so I shouldn't have one of those go bad at time soon and need too take off the turbo again.

Back