• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Leak

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I have another fuel leak. I replaced the pick up line to the FFM about 6 months or so ago. I figured this time it is the return that is leaking. So I replaced the return line. Guess What it is still leaking in the same place, coming down the passenger side leaking onto the crossover pipe. The IP is 2 or 3 years old and I have elevated the IP above the intake and pulled all the fuel lines that ran under the intake to above the intake a few years ago. I thought it might be one of the injectors on the passenger side so I took off the wheel well and checked the back one and stuck my inspection camera and couldn't see any wetness. I'm stumped!!! where could it be coming from?

You know I was just thinking. It may be my pick up line to the FFM. I remember having a hard time finding a diesel rated hose. The one I got didn't say diesel rated but in an online search the manufacturer said it was. I got it at autozone. I think I need to just replace it as well and then see if it fixes the problem. The leak is exactly like it was when I found it in the pick up the last time.

SAE 30R9
I’ll put that in the notes of My iphoney cause I can never remember that number.
Now if I can rememer to take my iphoney to the parts store wit Me. 😹

You may want to see when engine is running?
It may just be as simple as the clamp too tight or not tight enough?
Both can cause leaks.

At one time, mine was ok when not running.
When running, I see the leaks.
Now, very intermittent and I am not worry about it anymore since it is old truck. LOL!!!

You may want to see when engine is running?
It may just be as simple as the clamp too tight or not tight enough?
Both can cause leaks.

At one time, mine was ok when not running.
When running, I see the leaks.
Now, very intermittent and I am not worry about it anymore since it is old truck. LOL!!!

It takes a quick drive for it to leak. When you start it up and just idle no leak for 5-10 minutes of idling. Drive it 1/4 mile down the street and back it starts leaking. That tells me it is pressure related. Additionally once it starts you can let it idle and it just keeps coming. I have tried finding it while running but haven't had any luck. Like I said in the original post the FFM is elevated above the intake so all the fuel lines to the IP are good. As I was just typing this I remember (correct me if I'm wrong) There is a short 2-3 inch fuel hose in the front of the engine going from the IP (I think or somewhere near there) into the steel return line. Am I remembering that correctly?

Yes, there are two short rubber hoses, one from across the front of each head, that tee into the steel return line that runs down the valley. Iirc, there is then a short section of rubber hose that then connects to the steel line that runs down the bell housing, to the frame and back to the tank.

Yes, there are two short rubber hoses, one from across the front of each head, that tee into the steel return line that runs down the valley. Iirc, there is then a short section of rubber hose that then connects to the steel line that runs down the bell housing, to the frame and back to the tank.
The one that runs down the bell housing is the one I just replaced. I'm going to have to check the 2 in the front.

The hoses to the IP and t-valve is under the intake.
They will fail with age.
I thought you already replaced those, otherwise, I will suggest you replace it.
Those are all routed above the intake along with an elevated FFM to make it easier to replace and spot leaks. Maybe I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Back