• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Filter Replacement on an 03 Duramax

I own a service shop and my diesel customers usally change fuel filters every other oil change. which equates to about 8 to 12 thaousand miles.
I always run wix or napa gold, which is made by wix also.

We have the new Wix on our 05 and it is holding up great. It's really thick plastic, probably more sturdy than a metal case.

I've been using the plastic ones for about the last 5 changes now (combined between me and dad) and so far so good. I don't see a issue with them..

we havnt had any issues at all with the plastic cases. just lay the new O-ring on the top and i then take a little gun grease and rub my finger around the surface of the oring, partly to lube it and partly to help hold the oring in place.
Also the earlier models u can get them from the top, but its easier for me to access them from by pulling the fender skirt back a little and reaching up to grab them.
the later models are increasingly harder to get to from the top. i dont think u even can maybe from 2009 or 10 till current.

Theres been a few problems with the plastic filters since they are a single stage 2 micron media. The trucks that seem to have the most problems are tuned trucks as the filter isn't a very high fow unit. I know there was a post here about a plastic one that was causing a 1093 code, and several others on other forums. I know a friend of mine who runs a shop was installing them for about 3 months until he got one back throwing codes. Installed a metal RACOR style and no more check engine light. There IS a difference in the quality of the 2 filters. The RACOR/ACDELCO one is built with dual stage filtration(10 outer and 2 inner) and a coalescing screen in it where as the plastic ones are simply a single stage 2 micron filter.

Theres been a few problems with the plastic filters since they are a single stage 2 micron media. The trucks that seem to have the most problems are tuned trucks as the filter isn't a very high fow unit. I know there was a post here about a plastic one that was causing a 1093 code, and several others on other forums. I know a friend of mine who runs a shop was installing them for about 3 months until he got one back throwing codes. Installed a metal RACOR style and no more check engine light. There IS a difference in the quality of the 2 filters. The RACOR/ACDELCO one is built with dual stage filtration(10 outer and 2 inner) and a coalescing screen in it where as the plastic ones are simply a single stage 2 micron filter.
That's some damn interesting info right there.

Especially since I'm on the Parker/Racor/AC side of the discussion...

Heres a link to when I cut Nick's old style metal WIX open and what was inside it. The new plastic WIX is basically the same except it now uses a smaller 2 micron element instead of the larger diameter 10 micron element.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...the-inside-of-a-DURAMAX-fuel-filter-look-like

And here is the inside of a new style RACOR. You can see that it is a dual element with a coalescing media in between the 2 elements.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?19232-fuel-filters-and-fuel-quality

Also the WIX filter is strictly a paper element whereas the RACOR one is a paper 10 micron, then the fine silk coalescing layer around the cloth 2 micron inner elelemnt. They are COMPLETELY different animals.

Back