• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frustrated 1997 6.5 owner looking for some advice/ answers

Ok, just realized: 2 different people/ trucks here.

@Mmleone started the thread on truck with instant loss of fuel while driving. You tried NEW AND KNOWN GOOD(?) pmd and no change? Replace 1/4” return line that comes out the front of the ip with clear tubing. Physically unscrew fso (this opens passage incase it is inop) and try starting. Any bubbles in clear line? Is fuel flowing through? There are a few things to check after these.

@Chevy6.5 asking about your truck on someone else’s thread stops the help for them and also confuses those trying to help. We were combining his problems with yours. This leads to misdiagnosis for both of you.
You are better off starting your own thread, but you should also do the clear fuel return line- it will help on yours also.

Ok, just realized: 2 different people/ trucks here.

@Mmleone started the thread on truck with instant loss of fuel while driving. You tried NEW AND KNOWN GOOD(?) pmd and no change? Replace 1/4” return line that comes out the front of the ip with clear tubing. Physically unscrew fso (this opens passage incase it is inop) and try starting. Any bubbles in clear line? Is fuel flowing through? There are a few things to check after these.

@Chevy6.5 asking about your truck on someone else’s thread stops the help for them and also confuses those trying to help. We were combining his problems with yours. This leads to misdiagnosis for both of you.
You are better off starting your own thread, but you should also do the clear fuel return line- it will help on yours also.
I'm sorry, I guess I just didn't think. 😕 Didn't mean to cause any trouble. I'll try to do better in future.

No way to test PMD for continuity that I know. I did see a website a long time ago that talked about looking at the output on an oscilloscope and checking its waveform. But I don't know procedure or pin or what the waveform looks like. Sorta a test you have to know its injecting fuel to think the PMD is good but that is not a conclusive test I don't think. Hence most replace with a known good one and eliminate it as the cause.

Don't think any of them are significantly different on reliability all else being equal. The heat sink and location is the key.

A PMD failure (or related harness) is one of the few things that will allow the engine to cut off as if a key turned it off then crank no start. You could check the harness continuity to make sure something did not break corrode or come loose etc.
Years ago I made a comment similar to that, "Buddy" laid out a way to check them. I had no idea then and less now of how to do it.

Chevy 6.5. Welcome....and trust me on this site we all ask dumb questions, and trust me if you own a 6.5 it will make you feel dumb sometimes..(.and mess with each other for it) lol..just good natured fun. So never take it personally...we just like to mess with each other sometimes before we get serious and help figure out what's wrong with your rig..

Yes, I saw it, thanks! I think maybe I was just having a bad day having to put my truck in the shop. I guess I'm posting on the wrong thread again. Lol.

I tried to find your thread and couldn't... The real irony here is the guy that started this thread titled it frustrated 6.5 owner...I'm pretty sure that every one of us on this site, that's why we are here LOL.. if you own a 6.5 you are frustrated..it will make you want to beat your head on a wall..lol.. did you figure out how to start your own thread

Back