• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Front brake upgrade

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
Help! I need to replace the brakes on my 2000 k3500 it used to be a dually so it has the heavy duty calipers. I was reading around the other day and someone mentioned about upgrading to newer rotors to not have to mess with taking off the wheel bearings next time. My rotors need replaced but I cannot find the actual thread where someone gave information about that does anyone know what to search to find it or can they link to it please?or if someone could just tell me what rotors to use or anything else that needs changed thanks

The problem with finding slide over rotors is finding studs to fit the hub, and a set that are the correct diameter. I looked into the gmt800 rotors, but they will require taking .300 off the diameter to work. So if you could find studs, then you would have to have the diameter turned down.

So Ive been Reading about this and people are changing out the whole spindle and hub assembly in order to use the gmt800 brakes is that because if you use GMT 800 hub assemblies(which seem to be there same other that rotor goes on differently) the rotor is not in the same place so the caliper won't fit?

Everybody else that has done it has swapped the whole spindle, hub, calipers, all of it to get the much larger pads and calipers.

Do the entire swap as it’s well worth it. Couple years on mine, but not a lot of miles (6K to 8K), and it was the best “40 hp” improvement made. The truck stops like a beast.

I think it's possible to not swap spindles but still get bigger brakes. Burning oil took a 6 lug 2x4, cut the ears off that the caliper mounts to, ground 2 flats, drilled the stock spindle, and bolted on new style calipers and brackets. If this could be done, find a set of studs to allow slip over rotors from a gmt800 to be fitted, and you could get the bigger brakes without all the reaming and tie rod swapping. It's a possibility that I may look into soon.

I think it's possible to not swap spindles but still get bigger brakes. Burning oil took a 6 lug 2x4, cut the ears off that the caliper mounts to, ground 2 flats, drilled the stock spindle, and bolted on new style calipers and brackets. If this could be done, find a set of studs to allow slip over rotors from a gmt800 to be fitted, and you could get the bigger brakes without all the reaming and tie rod swapping. It's a possibility that I may look into soon.

Reaming and tie rod swapping are not that big of a deal. What you just described seems like a bigger McGyver solution.

Back