• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big brake kit (my way)

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Just have time to post this real quick, will be back latter to add more.

Anyway Ive working on a Big Brake Kit for the 88-2000 trucks. This set up is for the 6lug 2wd and "might" work on the 5 lug and 8 lug trucks also, but I need to check it out first.
The stock rotor is 11.5" dia. I wanted atleat a 13" dia I also wanted parts that can be bought at most any auto parts store.
The calipers, rotors and caliper brackets are off an 09 Denali/Escalade.
Its still a work in progress and I'll be posting as I get things done.

DSCN3412.JPG
Rough cutting the ears and relieving areas that will interfere.
DSCN3418.JPG
DSCN3419.JPG
A brake lathe will do wonders. The key to the conversion is making some "bearing hubs". Just part off the disc/rotor portion and your left with a bearing hub.
Now a "hubless rotor" han be sliped over the new hub.
Also get to keep the ABS this way.
DSCN3421.JPG
DSCN3423.JPG
DSCN3425.JPG
DSCN3426.JPG
DSCN3428.JPG

Will post more later

Just got the machine work done. Everything is looking real good.

Here you see the bearing hub mounted on the spindle
DSCN3460.JPG
The hubless rotor is 13" dia. It just slides right over the modified original rotor now that it is just a bearing hub. You can also see the new holes that were machined into the spindle for mounting the caliper bracket.
DSCN3459.JPG
New socket head bolts hold caliper bracket to spindle.
DSCN3458.JPG
Caliper bracket mounted and full engaugement of the larger than stock pads. You can see how the new larger rotor slides over the old one here also. Another very cool thing is its hub centric too.

DSCN3457.JPG
Larger than stock Dual piston caliper installed on the bracket.
DSCN3456.JPG

I would be interested in seeing if this would also work on the 8 lug 4wd trucks. I've wanted better brakes, but couldn't find any upgrades for the 8600 GVW.

Don

Yes it will work and apparantly its all bolt on. Another member here just did his. I'll try to find his thread and post it.

The 4x4 is easier than the 2wd!

OK so finaly getting back around to this project.

Here are some pictures of what was done today.

Supported with 2 jack stands
DSCN3563.JPG
Brake line removed. Bajo bolt will fit the new dual piston caliper also :thumbsup:
DSCN3564.JPG
Caliper removed. Takes a 3/8" allen wrench to remove caliper bolts.
DSCN3565.JPG
Remove spindle nut.
DSCN3566.JPG
Slide the complete rotor off the spindle.
DSCN3567.JPG
The wrench shows a bolt that holds down the ABS sensor wire. Remove it and the sway bar end link.
DSCN3568.JPG
This is probaly the most important step. Remove the lower control arm nuts then position a floor jack under lower control arm. Raise the jack slightly to take tension off the bolts. Remove the bolts and slowly let the jack down. Releasing the sring tension like this seems to be safer than busting the ball joint loose method.
DSCN3569.JPG
Tension released.
DSCN3570.JPG
Remove upper control arm and spindle.
DSCN3571.JPG

I got the new passenger side controll are bushings and ball joint installed, but did not get any pictures. Tomorrow I continue and get the pass side done. More pictures then.

Wierd thing happened lastnight. I went to r&r bushings in upper C/A and the holes seem to be smaller or bushings bigger? They are Moog parts and same part # as Pass side. There is no way they are going to fit. Back to supplier to see WTF is up wit dat.

OK, what I found out was a 95 bushing is different than 96. The 95 fit perfectly. It even a different part #.

Anyway, here are the rest of the pictures of the mod. Got the new rear axle in. Truck stops very well and is very smooth. I have not done any hard stops yet, but by the way they fill it should do better than before.

DSCN3603.JPGDSCN3605.JPGDSCN3607.JPGDSCN3608.JPGDSCN3609.JPGDSCN3610.JPGDSCN3611.JPGDSCN3613.JPG

Back