• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Flatbed ramp ideas

john miles

Reaction score
Just bought a 2007 Kodiak C4500. I am going to convert to a flatbed to haul a side by side. (full size Polaris) I am looking for some ideas for ramps that this old man can load and unload.

The pic on right is my goal.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200401_121206.jpg
    20200401_121206.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 12
  • kodiak zo.jpg
    kodiak zo.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
Welcome.
I used to build flatbeds (owned truck equipment shop) if you can space the bed up off the frame, you could fit slide out ramps like are used on uhaul/ penske moving trucks.
Either do one on either side of the frame, Make sure to plan out wheel clearance. Or stack 2 together and stow them over center of frame.
We used to do extension ladder stowage there for construction trucks.

I agree with Forest, if you can afford a rollback set up they become quite versatile.

Welcome.
I used to build flatbeds (owned truck equipment shop) if you can space the bed up off the frame, you could fit slide out ramps like are used on uhaul/ penske moving trucks.
Either do one on either side of the frame, Make sure to plan out wheel clearance. Or stack 2 together and stow them over center of frame.
We used to do extension ladder stowage there for construction trucks.

I agree with Forest, if you can afford a rollback set up they become quite versatile.
That looks good. thanks for input

Or for the amount of weight that you are looking at - what about looking at a round baler option, and modifying it to your use?

Or - my buddy purchased an old chevy pickup truck that has a winch that pulls a flat bed on and off the rear frame - think trucks that load the dumpsters on rails and secure it to the frame.

2 other options that might work just as well for less?

Welcome to thetruckstop John Miles. Just wondering, are You related to the long since deceased General Nelson Miles, the man that My home town is named after. LOL Miles City, Montana.
What engine is in Your Kodiak ? I used to work on a lot of those trucks, all with air brakes and the 8.3 Detroit diesel.

Even though your post is from a few years back, your flatbed ramp project is still a topic of interest! Converting a Kodiak C4500 for hauling a side by side is a cool endeavor. When it comes to practicality, considering ramp ideas that are easy to manage is a smart move.
On another note, taking care of your equipment's maintenance is crucial. Have you ever thought about Lift Truck repairs? Keeping your machinery in good condition ensures smooth operations. They might still offer insights into maintaining your machinery. Your project goal looks fantastic, and it's always inspiring to see community members working on practical solutions.

Back