• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

First Diesel Truck

buddyjaet

Reaction score
Picked up a 1995 Chevy Silverado K2500 with 6.5 L Turbo couple months back, knew it needed some TLC but it cranked and drove decently enough.
Well first trouble was the manual transmission was not going into gear with clutch in at idle, in gear and start able to drive but shifting was not smooth, had to tap the throttle to get non grinding shifts, without the tools decided a local transmission shop should swap clutch. Dual Mass flywheel had already been replaced, the clutch disk was at the end of its service, XFER case seals were leaking, tranny mount and shaft hanger required replacement. No surprises thus far.
De-greasing the bell housing, found cracks near the starter mount, welder coming to look it over. Hoping it ain't too bad, more to follow when I find out.
Bell Housing was the first issue that bothered me, all other parts were worn but seals and gaskets cured that.
Several other interior repairs, passenger door handle was broken, replaced it with aftermarket, works fine now.
A/C I repaired and blows nice and cool, grill and lights all replaced. Learning yet again that you can never trust what modifications are done to "GET IT FIXED" versus repairing it correctly. I realize that the 6.5 is not a Duramax or a Cummins, don't need to light tires and fly down the road at over 80MPH towing 6000 pounds. Just wanted a diesel 4x4 for hauling back and forth to the hunting camp.
Read a lot of the posts and watch too many videos by people who should not own a camera, much less post to the internet.
So don't mind doing work myself, but don't yet have good sources for Diesel used/spare parts on the Gulf Coast.

Welcome.

Tons of info here to learn about it, both do's and dont's.

Not sure if cracked bell housing or cracked block, but make sure the front of the starter has the little brace that mounts to the bock. That is most common issue for breaking starter mount ear on block. almost always can be welded back up, but never easy.

get descent breathing turbo & 4" exhaust on there and a good tune will make it feel like a whole new truck.

check your harmonic balancer for worn rubber - crankshaft killer. no cheap balancers, they only get 30,000 miles. AC Delco is good for 100,000 miles, fluidampr for the rest of the truck.

NEVER: starting fluid, temp of 220 or above, or hesitate to ask questions. What ever it is there is usually knowledgeable folks here with the answer.

I'm in East Texas... Having troubles with my 95 GMC 1 ton (6.5) must be the year. Tranny is ok (auto) but having fuel issues. If I can't get her running right she'll be up for sale for $1000. Ran just fine (minor hiccups) til I took her "swimming" down the road. During a hellacious rain storm back at the beginning of May. Hasn't been right since. Don't think I got water in it...

WELCOME
You have found 6.5 turbo Central command..lol.. pretty sure the guys on here know more about these trucks then the idiots at general motors that built them..
I totally agree with you there are way too many idiots on YouTube talking trash about these engines... They are actually pretty strong little beasts once you get all the kinks out of them...still got a few left to work out in mine but she's getting there..

Picked up a 1995 Chevy Silverado K2500 with 6.5 L Turbo couple months back, knew it needed some TLC but it cranked and drove decently enough.
Well first trouble was the manual transmission was not going into gear with clutch in at idle, in gear and start able to drive but shifting was not smooth, had to tap the throttle to get non grinding shifts, without the tools decided a local transmission shop should swap clutch. Dual Mass flywheel had already been replaced, the clutch disk was at the end of its service, XFER case seals were leaking, tranny mount and shaft hanger required replacement. No surprises thus far.
De-greasing the bell housing, found cracks near the starter mount, welder coming to look it over. Hoping it ain't too bad, more to follow when I find out.
Bell Housing was the first issue that bothered me, all other parts were worn but seals and gaskets cured that.
Several other interior repairs, passenger door handle was broken, replaced it with aftermarket, works fine now.
A/C I repaired and blows nice and cool, grill and lights all replaced. Learning yet again that you can never trust what modifications are done to "GET IT FIXED" versus repairing it correctly. I realize that the 6.5 is not a Duramax or a Cummins, don't need to light tires and fly down the road at over 80 MPH towing 6000 pounds. Just wanted a diesel 4x4 for hauling back and forth to the hunting camp.
Read a lot of the posts and watch too many videos by people who should not own a camera, much less post to the internet.
So don't mind doing work myself, but don't yet have good sources for Diesel used/spare parts on the Gulf Coast.
Able to drive her when I want now, speedometer actually now within 5 MPH when going down the road, no certain if I want to tey and adjust the controller. Now running down the little things, like cracked vacuum lines, poor grounds, shorted horn, no major electrical gremlins, YET. I enjoy reading the notes from other users.

I have the relocation kit for the PMD, just have to do the installation when the weather and my off days work together, not lucky enough to have a garage. Remote OIL filter kit also to install, also new oil cooler lines. got those as the originals are not leaking but maintenance now should prevent a breakdown later. I hope.

A/C I repaired and blows nice and cool, grill and lights all replaced. Learning yet again that you can never trust what modifications are done to "GET IT FIXED" versus repairing it correctly. I realize that the 6.5 is not a Duramax or a Cummins, don't need to light tires and fly down the road at over 80MPH towing 6000 pounds. Just wanted a diesel 4x4 for hauling back and forth to the hunting camp.
The original grill, head lights and signals were all damaged or not working, so replaced it all with aftermarket, just need to be creative with the missing emblem, on the middle of the grill, thought about some sort of symbol. Bow Tie is just too pricey on eBay for me right now with so many other things to correct first. For now it stay generic.1995 K2500 Silverado Front view.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the relocation kit for the PMD, just have to do the installation when the weather and my off days work together, not lucky enough to have a garage. Remote OIL filter kit also to install, also new oil cooler lines. got those as the originals are not leaking but maintenance now should prevent a breakdown later. I hope.
Leroy Diesel is as good as he claims, his relocation kit was all I needed and installed in 15 minutes, that included removal of the intake plenum to reach the PMD and pull the connector off. Really like the location behind the bumper!.

Back