• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finest fuel filter and own pump

Nessmuk

Reaction score
Is a 2 micron filter to fine for the OEM cannisters type pump to push through?
I am having fuel pressure issues, and flow as well with them, but the pump is used.
Would another pump work better to either push or pull through the 2 mic filter?
My system is:
Mr Gasket pump, racor 10 micron filter with water bowl, a clear fuel filter with the screen in it (for observing fuel flow), the OEM pump and the 2 micron Catapiller filter.

The finer a filter is, the more it restricts. Many filters are rated at a low micron level, but don't actually achieve that level 100% of the time. At that level 50% of the time they can be rated it. I mention this because many companies abuse the numbers for advertising- posting infomon the filter you find is well worth it before buying. Fuel filters are just like oil filters- many that are touted as the superior turn out to be horrible.

So finer flow filters being more restrictive -slowing the volume of fuel, they make the filter larger to compensate, or much more frequent changes. The added restriction generally requires an improved pump, so people upgrade the system, not just one component.

Going in the commercial marine world really sheds light on to best fuel systems are done (centrifuge). But $7,000 -$10,000 for a system doesn't make sense in a little pick up.
Anyone that has a large enough fleet of vehicles to buy fuel and store it in their own tanks could install a driven centrifuge eliminating any contaminants.
If you had the powered bypass centrifuge and used it to batch your fuel at home through a couple barrels you could achieve the same thing, but back to the real world...

So having a fuel pressure gauge before your injection pump is the only way to tell you're not restricting the fuel too much, and of course running the filters with your fuel line disconnected prior to IP and feeding into a container to measure your volume of flow to verify you are not damaging IP through starvation.

Remember that all pumps "pump". Pumps do not "suck" by design, so a filter to save the pump also adds wear to the pump sucking fuel through any filter, but a $250-$400 pump is worth saving from a pebble which opens the question of pre pump filters, another can of worms.

You mention Mr. gasket pump, but the few Mr. gasket ones I have seen are very low-quality. What is the volume and pressure of the Mr. gasket pump you are using? If unkown, what model number or any pics?

The OEM canister style pumps, AC Delco EP158 being the best of those versions, barely gets the job done for a DS4 IP. Does ok for a stock db2. Having a finer filter after it would really make me question its use. Upgrading a fuel pump and filtering system is normally done at the same time. To try using the factory pump and that fine of a filter- you would have to expirement.

It would help to fill out your signature so we can see what exactly you are running currently.

I am using the Mr Gasket pumps to push fuel to the better pump. Sort of a pump primer.
What is a good pump for under 100 up to 200 hundred dollars?
Something durable and rebuild able is better for me.

Still missing info.
Frb5 is good for db2
Frb10 is good for ds4

Mr gasket has to be flow on fail and handle same or more volume than the bigger pump in front of it, or it will restrict flow and wear out that pump sooner.

If you have a db2, you understand fuel can cost nothing to around 40cents a gallon, right? Then you can invest a lot of money in a great fuel pump, and all the fuel gets cleaned to the nines before going in your tank...

yes, I believe @WarWagon rebuilt his.
not all vain/rotoray pumps are flow on fail, btw. I had a couple holley's that were vain and didn't f.o.f.
so you have a db IP?

I found a blown fuse to the secondary pump. That and two fresh filters may do for now.
A new pump is definitely in the near future. Those mr gasket pumps wouldn't run the engine on their own.

Don't forget the CAT filters are synthetic media so they are MUCH more consistent in their filter media than a normal filter. I use an FRB5 with a CAT or Donaldson pre-filter and get double the flow (not a guess measured by myself) of the stock set-up

Back