• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally gonna build a new shop

Paint likes to separate the surface layer of OSB. Just sayin' so you aren't surprised (pissed) and jump off the scaffold or something...:D

Huhh?????
The water (or mineral spirits) in the paint will cause a rough surface from warping/lifting the surface fiber layer. I don't know any other way to put it. Try painting a dropoff piece and see how it comes out.

wow, that's a boat load of concrete. I about crapped when I saw that you poured the whole thing - figured it would only be a partial and the rest stone or something.

What is the black stuff on the exterior under the steel?

Just curious if your trusses were rated for that OSB to hang on them? That's not typical and is a LOT of extra weight.

What did you decide on your doors? If you already got them, then I missed it. Dad's putting in Wayne Dalton overhead doors with openers. They came in at just under $5K installed for one 20x14 and one 12x12, both insulated. Pretty good price, we thought.

The other two doors are just sliders. One is a 28' opening and the other is a 20'. Both of those slide on the inside of the building, so there's no need to ever worry about digging snow out of the way in the winter when we open them.

most trusses are design to have insulation and sheetrock hanging on them. the OSB is much lighter the the sheetrock

wow, that's a boat load of concrete. I about crapped when I saw that you poured the whole thing - figured it would only be a partial and the rest stone or something.

What is the black stuff on the exterior under the steel?

Just curious if your trusses were rated for that OSB to hang on them? That's not typical and is a LOT of extra weight.

What did you decide on your doors? If you already got them, then I missed it. Dad's putting in Wayne Dalton overhead doors with openers. They came in at just under $5K installed for one 20x14 and one 12x12, both insulated. Pretty good price, we thought.

The other two doors are just sliders. One is a 28' opening and the other is a 20'. Both of those slide on the inside of the building, so there's no need to ever worry about digging snow out of the way in the winter when we open them.

Yeah, its a lot of crete in there.$11000 worth,and 4 grand to lay it.No use complaining about spilled milk.;)

Its some kind of one way moisture barrier

AK said it,OSB is lighter than sheetrock[called drywall in canuckland](cheaper too,at least around here it is)

The Doors are ordered,around 7 grand installed,one 14'w x12 h with electr opener,the other 20 x 12,chain hoist opener,both insulated and overhead( not much choice for brand up here,only one supplier in this area).:nonod:

In the US everything is cheaper:rolleyes5:

Yeah, its a lot of crete in there.$11000 worth,and 4 grand to lay it.No use complaining about spilled milk.;)

AK said it,OSB is lighter than sheetrock[called drywall in canuckland](cheaper too,at least around here it is)

The Doors are ordered,around 7 grand installed,one 14'w x12 h with electr opener,the other 20 x 12,chain hoist opener,both insulated and overhead( not much choice for brand up here,only one supplier in this area).:nonod:

I'm still waiting to get those on my doors.

If you don't do it right away it doesn't seem to happen.

$7K doesn't sound like a bad price, really.

Yeah, I know OSB is lighter than rock, but just thought I would ask. I'm sure the truss company took everything in to consideration and you guys probably worry more for snow load than materials hanging on it, anyhow.

I was surprised you didn't put a steel or aluminum ceiling in, but the cost would have gone up, for sure. I assume you're doing OSB on the sidewalls, too. Nice building - I'm enjoying the read-through!

Got some more done last week.

Wall sheeting is in place,
hung 2 overhead heaters 100.000 btu each(still need to do the piping and electr and exhaust)
installed the wood stove (used grain auger tubing makes a good stove pipe):hihi:
And i spread 120 ton ($2400 worth) gravel in front of the doors(can use another 120 ton (4 loads):eek:

Attachments

• gravel.jpg
    gravel.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 10
  • shop heater.jpg
    shop heater.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 7
  • shop stove.jpg
    shop stove.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 11
The wood stove has it's work cut out for it. :D

I bet she'll do better than you think though....

Will say again..Fabulous building.

Trying to figger the CAD compared to USD- also- When you say 'ton' is that 2000 pounds? Is a Canadian ton the same? Lotsa stone nonetheless.

The wood stove has it's work cut out for it. :D

I bet she'll do better than you think though....

Will say again..Fabulous building.

Trying to figger the CAD compared to USD- also- When you say 'ton' is that 2000 pounds? Is a Canadian ton the same? Lotsa stone nonetheless.
Its the old house stove,it'll have to do for now,its just a back up.

Everything is sold here in metric units, everybody still thinks in imperial....makes it real easy:rolleyes5:
A metric ton is 2200 LBS
Some say tonne..it doesn't matter,the stuff is heavy:hihi:

you'll gain some radiant heat off of that tall chimney pipe, alone. That's a benefit. Ceiling fans would help circulate the heat.

That place is looking great! I can say being there first hand, the wood stove at Mike's kicks out some major heat!

Like Barry said, you should be very proud of what you have there!

After a long wait time got the doors installed yesterday:)
Was a nasty cold day,windy and 20c below brr,was glad i didn't have to do it.
Woodstove is to small,it can barely keep the frost out:nonod:,been going full bore all night
Next step,get the nat gas furnace's piping in and get them going :agreed:.

BtW,i am as proud as a dog with 7 dicks.;)

Attachments

• shop doors 005.jpg
    shop doors 005.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 5
  • shop doors 003.jpg
    shop doors 003.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4
  • shop doors 004.jpg
    shop doors 004.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4
Back