• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Final details for my "Twisted" P400 build

hows your built going ??

Rustoration is on a veeeerrrryyyy sllllooooowwww track. Have the truck in parts and am waiting on the shop owner for the body work. Body work is done as a side business and there is already another vehicle in the way. So, just waiting this one out. In the interim, I am running an OBS Ferd 350. Come on up with the RV and I'll let you take it for a drive :)

looks purdy!! how do you guys control a VGT style turbo? I assume this will be having a newer OBD2 ecm controlling it? I have always wondered about that and have heard folks using them but with the older electronics like my 95 I would have no idea how to set one of those up!

looks purdy!! how do you guys control a VGT style turbo? I assume this will be having a newer OBD2 ecm controlling it? I have always wondered about that and have heard folks using them but with the older electronics like my 95 I would have no idea how to set one of those up!
You can either control them mechanically using a Turbo Master-type spring assembly or using the vacuum actuator system of the GM-X stock set up. There were a pair of guys just out of high school on here about 10-12 years ago that had put HE351's on their 6.5TD pickups, one chose to control it mechanically, the other using the stock vacuum control system. Haven't heard from either on here in ages.

As a side note, the two of them got their rides, with a small write-up On their turbo mods, in the Readers Rides section of Diesel Power right before they showed up here on TTS.

I believe if you look closely, @dbrannon79, you'll see that's a DB2 pump on there, so it's all mechanical and no computer control for the engine/turbo.

I saw the DB2, that's what got me curious as to how the vgt was to be controlled (variable geometry) VGT's are like an electronc stepper motor that's geared to the wastegate in the turbo. we use them here on all the road trucks and equipment at work but are controlled by the ecm. I was thinking someone figured out how to control one without an ecm

@dbrannon79 the HE351CW has a mechanical actuation system for its VGT fins in the exhaust housing. It was used pre-2004.5 on the Cummins equiped Dodge Rams. The HE351VE was used 2004.5+ and is electronically controlled. Fleese Performance does make a nifty stand-alone controller for the HE variation, OR it can be controlled mechanically with a couple of minor modifications. Hey, @Twisted Steel Performance, Chris how are you going to control the VGT on this motor?

Back