• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

fass ,airdog air fuel separator for a 6.5

I went with your 3/8 barb (female) at the tank to a 12" section of rubber hose, much like the OEM set up does before transitioning to the steel lines., then a two piece connection to open it up to the 1/2 inch hose provided. $11 total. Not exactly what I wanted initially but the 3/8" hose won't kink once the tank is raised up which was a concern to me.

Fuel Sumps are designed to eliminate the ¼ tank issues associated with the in-tank draw straws typically used with Air Dog & FASS fuel pumps. Originally designed for better fuel delivery, the Fuel Sump fastens to the bottom of the tank and dramatically increases volume to the fuel pump by allowing you to get every drop of fuel out of the tank.

also the fluid dynamics term of drawing fluid from a lower point(under the tank)aka positive head pressure being easier on the fuel system than up above a certain point(out the draw straw)...that would be something like negative or suction head pressure...

Seems pretty cool, I'd put a ball valve on it. For changing LP or ???. Mabe a Tee for drianing the tank? Its nice that you don't have to drop the tank to install. If your willing to drop the tank I bet a bulkhead fittings could be used for much cheaper.
Speeking of money How much is the sump above?

Seems pretty cool, I'd put a ball valve on it. For changing LP or ???. Mabe a Tee for drianing the tank? Its nice that you don't have to drop the tank to install. If your willing to drop the tank I bet a bulkhead fittings could be used for much cheaper.
Speeking of money How much is the sump above?

I didn't bother with a ball valve...most don't and I didn't want to chance any added restriction or turbulence that might be caused by one....nice smooth flow is what I'd rather when you are commanding as much fuel as 600hp does...wheteher that would really happen or not I don't know...but I'd rather not find out...

the sump shown is $165 at xdp...but my good friend Steve(dura-ration) made an improved copy for me for free at the shipyard where he works...same with a lot of other parts on the truck...
fass also sells them for $159 FASS STK-5500BO(you might be able to get those Leroy)
Hellmann $165

So are you saying that with the sump the new fuel supply for the LP will come from a port in the sump as opposed to a straw sticking inside from the top?

yes...my hose barb and hose from the sump goes directly to my Airdog165 system

Well crap.....if that aint the most common sense thing I've heard about a 6.5 so far. Do you have to modify the tank for the sump to mount? Like cut a hole in the tank and then mount the sump over the hole?

You'd have to find a flat spot and use a hole saw to make a hole in bottom of tank.

So if you add a sump, there is no need for hoses to the top of the tank to help in install and removal. Being the fuel comes from the bottom I can just run a hard line right to the sump? Do you just cap the old fuel line from the top?

here is the install video...

[video=youtube;N3WqAoy9EUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3WqAoy9EUE[/video]

you really don't have to drop the tank to do it, but it helps...

That would only work for a highway rig. Anybody that drives off road, rough terrain, farm fields, etc would run a very high risk of tearing that off. UNLESS, a skid plate of some sorts was installed to protect it. Then I can see it as being very handy for getting all your fuel in a low fuel situation.

Don

Well taht sounds pretty simple. What size is the port usually on these sumps? I assume that they are all NPT?
Looks like 1/2" NPT
So if you add a sump, there is no need for hoses to the top of the tank to help in install and removal. Being the fuel comes from the bottom I can just run a hard line right to the sump? Do you just cap the old fuel line from the top?

Yep, but I would run flexable hose of some sort to the sump. A 1/2" ball valve IMO would be wanted.

That would only work for a highway rig. Anybody that drives off road, rough terrain, farm fields, etc would run a very high risk of tearing that off. UNLESS, a skid plate of some sorts was installed to protect it. Then I can see it as being very handy for getting all your fuel in a low fuel situation.

Don

Was thinking the same, a bulkhead fitting could be installed in the lowest part of the verticle surface and be protected better?
You would not get every drop of fuel out on a level surface though, but probably as much as stock pick up did.

I put a sump in my wifes truck extremely easy just make sure the tank is almost empty if you do put one in and also sinister diesel kit is about 165 and it comes with everything you need

Don

I off road with mine...never had a problem...

Fass makes one bulkheaded for more clearance, but its an extra $100+-

I'm glad it has worked for you. With my luck I'd get in an area that had been logged over and logging debris, chunks of wood, or limbs would get the sump. I was planning to crawl under my pickup today to check out the area, but I forgot. Now it's raining. We'll see how tomorrow morning looks.

The vehicle the sump would be more needed on would be my 71 FJ40. The stock fuel tank of about 16 or 17 gallons sets under the passenger seat inside the cab. It has a sump designed into it, and the floor is shaped for it.

Several years ago I had a friend make a new fuel tank that extends across the full width of the cab, under both passenger and drivers seats, for about 27 gallons. The mistake we made was not building a sump in the tank. Because of the wide flat bottom of the tank there's about 5 gallons I can't pick up. I need to measure how deep of a sump the floor will allow for. Maybe this one would fit.

Don

I've knocked a hole in my amsoil bypass from corn stalks and the set up is behind my t-case. Not a good idea for me but I like the concept. Would a 90* elbow in the tank pointed to the bottom help?

Back