• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

fass ,airdog air fuel separator for a 6.5

BigBearZach

Reaction score
So I was thinking about making so fuel system upgrades and was wondering if a fass or airdog system with a better fuel filter and air separator would be a good idea for my truck

Do what your performance shop buddy says or you can research before you post a thread, that question van definitely be answered in a simple search.

I have mounted my Air Dog up under the bed rail. I have made the wiring and the hoses long enough to unbolt the pump and set it on the ground without having to disconect anything. I have a low pressure switch activate the "water in fuel" light in the dash. I have removed all the stock fuel system.Air Dog mounted in fender 2.jpgAir Dog mounted in fender.jpgAir Dog psi sw.jpgAir Dog unbolted.jpg

I have mounted my Air Dog up under the bed rail. I have made the wiring and the hoses long enough to unbolt the pump and set it on the ground without having to disconect anything. I have a low pressure switch activate the "water in fuel" light in the dash. I have removed all the stock fuel system.View attachment 36545View attachment 36546View attachment 36547View attachment 36548
Very nice set up. With the hose lengths provided, I could pretty much do the same with my install except there's the question as to where to stash the extra coils of fuel lines.

http://leroydiesel.com/Fuel_Delivery.html Scroll down to 4th item.
IMO the Walbro (first item) is the way to go and the biggest bang for the buck.

My Walbro -5 worked great, still does and probably will again if I decide to add another 6.5. I never noticed as fuel starvation issue though I should have bit the bullet and wired up the Fuel Pressure Gauge still sitting in the box.... The AirDogII was pretty much zero cost to me so worth the try.

The only hoses that I used from the Air Dog kit was the return line. I used stainless braded for the suction line, so it would not colapse. I used regular rubber hose for the feed line, I put a silcone fire sock over the rubber hose in the engine compartment. I used the aluminum splice to shorten the return line and ran it up and over the pump.

Here is what the hoses look like when viewed from the wheel well.fuel pump lines in truck.jpg

Here is what the mount likes like in the bed.fuel pump mount in bed.jpg

I also recomend up sizing the wire to the pump. I am having some trouble keeping the voltage up at the pump. My pressure switch will filcker at idle.

Attachments

• fuel pump lines in truck.jpg
    fuel pump lines in truck.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 11
I might as well just show you guys the rest. The hose on the right is the feed line with the silicone jacket. The hose on the right is the purge line, it is 1/4". The purge hose goes to the stock petcock.

Here is the tee fitting at the IP.fuel line IP.jpg

The only hoses that I used from the Air Dog kit was the return line. I used stainless braded for the suction line, so it would not collapse. I used regular rubber hose for the feed line, I put a silicone fire sock over the rubber hose in the engine compartment. I used the aluminum splice to shorten the return line and ran it up and over the pump.

I also recommend up sizing the wire to the pump. I am having some trouble keeping the voltage up at the pump. My pressure switch will flicker at idle.

Good information and thanks as I hadn't considered the possibility of the suction line collapsing.
I'll splice the return line too as it's too long. The 1/2 feed line is long enough to make the run all the way up to the radiator where the FFM is relocated, but that's just where the line ended. I still have to neck it down with a brass 1/2 to 3/8 inch barrel. Where is the question. There's just no good reason to follow the OEM routing though.
Naturally, the 1/2 fittings supplied with the kit are too large to mate with the feed line at the fuel sender so, just another brass part to purchase....
Did you stay with 1/2" dia. on the suction and feed lines and just neck it up from 3/8" at the tank and then back down at the motor? I'm tempted to adjust fire and make it 3/8" all the way from tank to IP.
Did you stick with the AirDog electical harness or pulling voltage through the OPS circuit.
I have to admit that my improvisation meter is pegged at zero but since the AirDog is not plug-n-play, adjustments have to be made.

I have to admit, the Walbro kit Leroy sells was simpler to install.

Yes I pulled the voltage through the stock wiring. I cut the plug off the stock lift pump. Spliced the supplied wires onto the plug. BUT the Air Dog 100gph has a maximum of 20 amps. The fuse feeding the stock lift pump was 20amps, this is why I used the stock wiring. Yours has to be more, so it will have to be different.

now are you going to put a sump or have a sump on your tank or just leave it the way it is

The Air Dog I 100gph uses the stock pickup. The bigger Air Dogs come with a draw straw.

Here is what I did to the stock pickup.Fuel line suction end.jpg

Here is the o ring to an adapter from russel. They only sell two, the one you need is the small one.Fuel line adaptor.jpg

now are you going to put a sump or have a sump on your tank or just leave it the way it is

Yes I pulled the voltage through the stock wiring. I cut the plug off the stock lift pump. Spliced the supplied wires onto the plug. BUT the Air Dog 100gph has a maximum of 20 amps. The fuse feeding the stock lift pump was 20amps, this is why I used the stock wiring. Yours has to be more, so it will have to be different.

Draw Straw/Sump: The DF-165 is advertised on their web page as being demand regulated and they claim that it didn't come with the additional draw straw. 'The AirDog® II Fuel Air Separation System is a one of a kind product that features Demand Flow Technology and an Adjustable Regulator that lets you fine tune your fuel system for increased fuel economy, power, and performance!' At this point, it would almost be easier!

I've already spliced the harness back together so I'll use it. I found a good spot to mount the Relay on the fire wall so the connector to the LP is about 12" shy of making the reach. :mad2:
Guess I'll have to re-splice to extend it or move the relay's further down.

I'd go with a sump regardless...

SumpKit_cropped_web.jpg

that pic is from XDP (xtreme diesel performance)

alligator diesel and some others sell them...I'm not sure if any vendors here can get them...

just google duramax fuel sump

Just wanted to mention this real quick. My LP bypass kit/fittings will also fit the large/supply side of the pick up tube. Very simular to the pic above except has 3/8" hose barb.
That might be good if your lines are rusty....ect
Leroy, do you have a line on them with a 1/2" hose barb? That's what I need at the fuel sender to avoid a monstrosity of adapters necking things up. Please call if you do.

Leroy, do you have a line on them with a 1/2" hose barb? That's what I need at the fuel sender to avoid a monstrosity of adapters necking things up. Please call if you do.

No 1/2".
You might need to get the Russel part?

Back