• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farming Thread:

I feel for you guys having trouble. I went through it last year. This year is a whole other story.

Had very little replant in the corn, none in the beans. Corn started tasseling early this week. Rains have been moderated and well timed, no hail as of yet.

I guess we are the garden spot of the cornbelt so far this year.

We had a bunch of stuff hailed bad last month. Stripped all the leaves off the corn, can see from one end of the field to the other. Starting to dent now but it pulled back a bunch, and missing lots of kernals on the west side where it hit. Beets finally grew new leaves and started making sugar again. Harvest that beet field last I guess. Corn will probably make about the insurance guarantee. Would chop it but enough corn got hailed that the feedlots aren't paying much, trying to get everyone to bid against each other.

we're getting ready to get rolling here in beans, well as soon as the new combine gets here. we're trading up to a 9660 Deere with a 630F head. should be a big improvement over the 9500 and 925 we've been running for 10 years.

anybody know where a good 893 head is at for a decent price? or does anybody need a 693 head?

we're getting ready to get rolling here in beans, well as soon as the new combine gets here. we're trading up to a 9660 Deere with a 630F head. should be a big improvement over the 9500 and 925 we've been running for 10 years.

anybody know where a good 893 head is at for a decent price? or does anybody need a 693 head?

That'l be one hell of an upgrade.. you'll be able to eat through beans like you wouldn't believe. even green stems.

As for an 893.. I don't know of one around, most everyone are holding onto those heads. Hopefully the 600c series improve this year. Look on tractorhouse or machineryfinder and go look at one

The farm I work at has two rebuilt 893's that should be on their way to the local dealer anyday now as the new ones sit @the dealer now... We rebuilt them late dec/early jan, then a couple weeks later they decided they wanted 2 stalkmaster heads..
Let me know if you want more info or something....

The farm I work at has two rebuilt 893's that should be on their way to the local dealer anyday now as the new ones sit @the dealer now... We rebuilt them late dec/early jan, then a couple weeks later they decided they wanted 2 stalkmaster heads..
Let me know if you want more info or something....

thanks, but we ended up trading our 693 in to the local dealer and they're fixing us up with an 02 893. we should be able to shell some serious corn now. the combine and heads are supposed to be making their way from the dealer to our place hopefully the first of the week, especially since as soon as it quits raining we're going to start cutting beans.

Anyone into beans yet? The guys who rent our land have their equipment stuck here while they wait for it to dry out a little. It never fails that on a dry year it starts raining when you want to get into the fields and harvest....

Nothing going here. Only 1 or 2 have tried beans this last week. Been wet since mid week so once it dries a bit I expect to see some beans go. Corn is way far out. That won't finish 'til early Dec...

Yeah, corn is going to be late. Our FFA Corn Drive (where we get farmers to donate corn, and donate all the money to Camp Courage, a camp for handicapped people) is scheduled for October 27th. Last year it was the 17th.

We've got an 893 corn head but its off our 9600 and you'd have to change the hook-ups to fit the newer combine.

We're rollin beans right now. We were running corn this am till our wet holding got full. This is gonna be a slow harvest. Go like hell when you can get in.

I have about a 1 acre crop of grass that I harvest several times a year with an 11hp Murray with a two blade 42" deck.

we finally got our 9660 yesterday. its an animal!! the deere tech said you better run 5 mph+ to keep it full so it does a good job threshing. you can cover some serious acres with that thing!!

aggar you trade that 893? If not what do you want? How did the 9600 like it? I kinda want to get one, but the 643 we have seems to do a better job than most of the newer heads I see around. One guy bought a 9660 and newer 893 and our old rolls do a better job breaking stalks than his newer ones. Haven't looked close, maybe his are just shot. I don't ever go as fast in poor corn as I should to keep the machine full with the 6 row head, I'd get too much head shatter. In good corn I can keep it full pretty well.

No Problem on the 9600.We had a ship on ours. It would shell at about 3.5-4mph in 200+ bushel corn. I think we had the rolls redone 2-3 yrs ago. And it hasn't seen much service since. Not sure what they're asking for price. It's a plastic head too. I believe it's a 95 model yr. Adjustable deck plates too I think. I'll have to look. When we got the rolls redone it looked like a mower went across the corn. WE've still got it.

We are running about a month late, in NW Indiana.

Beans are looking good. We've cut about a 1/3 of our acres Corn looks great but it is wet as hell. Picked about 15 acres @ 30% to get started. Every other day seems like the rain comes. The 40 and 50 degree days aren't helping with the dry down at all.

Normally, the first round of transfering dry corn would be done and starting on the second batch in the drying bin.

Be nice if things would stay running. Had a weather good day on Tuesday, but when when I backed out the combine out, the drive coupler stripped out. That meant no go. So I lost the day to remove the drive unit from the transmission to see what broke.

It will be the weekend before the fields will be fit again.

Good luck to everyone, have a safe harvest.

it rains all the damn time here too! can't get 2 days together to get anything done. weather forecast looks good for sunday thru friday tho, we might be able to do something!

Same here, hope to cut 4 crop hay and then start on the beans. Corn is about 2-3 weeks out yet. Can't get 3-4 dry days in a row to save my butt......

A bit late to get that 4th cutting isn't it? You guys are a bit colder than us and I couldn't see doing any and then no growth for frost heave protection... unless you're going on a field that will be replanted next spring.

A bit late to get that 4th cutting isn't it? You guys are a bit colder than us and I couldn't see doing any and then no growth for frost heave protection... unless you're going on a field that will be replanted next spring.

Have cut 4th crop for years, the trick is to wait until if freezes hard, then cut. This will be the 2nd year on the field, I normally get 5 before replant.

Back