• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Evans Coolant

nobby

Old Timey Diesel Guy
Reaction score
With the impending summer season and hence of course the usual flurry or engine cooling threads just wondering if anyone has any experience input on Evans Coolant?

Gotta love the cycle of things, with winter comes 'my truck won't start' and summer 'my truck overheats'. :D

Cheers
Nobby

I used it on an explorer I repowered a while back. The GF let a mechanic add green coolant to it and contaminated it. Unless they reformulated it, it hates all other coolant and you need to start with a fresh system free of water and coolant. Its costly,not available everywhere so I went with green with watter wetter on the 6.5

I used it on an explorer I repowered a while back. The GF let a mechanic add green coolant to it and contaminated it. Unless they reformulated it, it hates all other coolant and you need to start with a fresh system free of water and coolant. Its costly,not available everywhere so I went with green with watter wetter on the 6.5

Actually FORD uses a G-05 type of anti-freeze and you can mix green with it without serious consequences other than it will no longer be an extended life coolant when mixed with the green. DEX-COOL is the one you have to be careful to ONLY add DEX-COOL to. As for the EVANS, never used it myself. Not sure if it increases teh coolants scrubbing ability and improve heat transfer or not. I know somebody here uses it in there 6.5, just can't remember who.

The deal with Evans is that it is lifetime coolant that raises the boiling point so far that hot spots/steam pockets just do not occur. It's heat transfer is not as good as say water or even 50/50 but that is considered a non issue with the elevated boiling point 375 DEG F. Of course this means that operating temps are somewhat higher and I have read running this some fleet vehicles have increased the fan cut in temps. Others are leary because of the higher oil temps but seems to me that it would still be within spec.

Cheers
Nobby

Cheers
Nobby

I would be worried about the reduced heat capacity.

Otherwise it is an expensive item to use on older vehicles. You are always loosing the water pump, hose, radiator, engine, etc. Reduced pressure only goes so far in extending the life of things. I don't use Dexcool for the same reason. After the first 5 years the system will not stay full for another 5 years.

I don't see any advantage on the crack prone 6.x engines to justify the expense. We can't safely take advantage of higher operating temps.

Too much risk, think of the engine running at 240* "safely". then as you get on the interstate on ramp a hose blows. How hot is the block and heads going to get before you have a chance to shut it down. Your already starting with such a high temp that your window of opportunity to save it is way less than if you started at 190.
If there was a thermal shutdown then maybe I could consider it, maybe for highway use.

All the offloading I do, I am constantly rescuing others and of coarse myself when a branch punctures a lower hose or something. A quick patch and add a gallon of lost water and off you go. Not with that stuff.

Back