• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Knock

mangus580

Reaction score
Guys, I have had this knock in (around) my engine, pretty much since I put it together in 2010. Its in my 95 Suburban, and its a 6.2 block with 6.5 parts on it.

When I put it together, it got new SS Diesel 6.5 heads, new balancer and pulley, fresh oil pan gasket, etc.

It only does this at an idle, and it doesnt do it all the time. Usually after its warmed up. If you put it in gear, and put a load on it, it goes away.

All in all, it runs fine (although underpowered compared to our 99, but I think thats a different issue), and it does its job. It does pick up an engine speed vibration about 1800-2200 RPM. Since I had put the new balancer and pulley on right from the get go, I had always assumed the knock and vibration were from something else - maybe something I possibly bent on the flywheel or torque converter area of the transmission. (old engine had a snapped crank, and I had to yank it with the TC attached)

I happened to stop at a local junkyard the other day to return a bad AC pump they sold me - one one of the guys came walking up and heard it. He swears it has a bad balancer.... got me to thinking... hmm was it bad right from beginning?

Based on that, I took this short video to gather input - dont mind the oil slick on the bottom of everything - I just had a brake line go bad, and have had a dripping return fuel line for some time (just replaced that today too), not to mention the customary dripping oil cooler lines....

As a side note, the balancer in our 99 was replaced at the same time, and was fine - now I suspect its on its way out..... Where best to get them if SSD is not the place?

What brand HB?
Sounds more like a rattle. Like down pipe rubbing frame or something else rubbing.
Power steering have fluid?

What brand HB?
Sounds more like a rattle. Like down pipe rubbing frame or something else rubbing.
Power steering have fluid?

I have no clue what 'brand' SS Diesel Supply sold (sells).....

Power Steering does have fluid - thats another one of the blended rust proofing coatings I employ on the undercarriage.... Therefore, it gets filled regularly

It has a factory exhaust - so I wouldnt think the downpipe would hit, but I can check....

Does sound change if you turn a/c on? If a/c doen't work try removing belt completely and fire it up and see what she does.
If it turns out to be the HB I do have the Fluid Damper on my site.

Crack injector nuts one at a time, listen for it to go away with a specific cylinder. From there it can be chased down easier.

Leroy Nailed It!!

I pushed against the down pipe and also the cross over, and the noise went away....

When I feel like climbing under and looking closer, I am sure I will find either one of them is loose, or hitting something.

Dripping oil cooler lines are a clear warning to replace them before they blow out and take the engine with them.

Same for PS lines and as an added bonus the PS pump that burned up from the line failure you won't replace with a new line. It then dusts the entire system with metal debris requiring replacement of the failed pump, hydrobooster, steering box, and flushing the lines plus PS cooler.

Winner winner chicken dinner to our Texan. Glad he was right not me, mines way more expensive.

Of coarse a fitting fix and appreciation move with a double win is a new 4" diamond eye set up bought from Leroy...

Back