• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine dies - throws codes - what do they mean?

I think you would be fine as long as you time that IP. You are wayyyyy out of time, surprising it runs. You could verify the PO didnt put the wrong IP on there, the model 5068 being wrong.

Actual injection pump timing: 90.02 Deg ° - This should be close to 30 Deg, so you are 60 degrees out of time!!!

Cam reference missed: 8 Counts - You are missing cam counts becuase the IP is rotated too much or you have the wrong electronics (meaning if someone mistakingly put 5068 IP in)

Crank reference missed: 0 Counts
Fuel calibration: 135 Counts
Fuel rate: 11.25 mm³
Fuel rate - Cruise: 0 mm³
Fuel rate - Idle: 10.94 mm³
Fuel rate - Maximum transient: 52.19 mm³
Fuel rate - Throttle requested: 0 mm³
Injection pulse width: 1.62 ms
Injection timing - Measured: 0 Deg ° - Your PCM is seeing 0 degrees when it want 15, so the stepper motor is not working because it cant do anything when IP is rotated out of its range

Injection timing - Desired: 15 Deg °

TDC offset: -0.7 Deg ° - This is likely bogus and you would end up with a DTC88 out or range error if you ran TDCO learn. This is just a stored value in the PCM that is static until the relearn is initiated

Looking back at my Scantech snapshots, the timing before was around 30 and now is 90. I didn't touch the IP at all other than to replace the fuel line.

Would the timing chain jumping a tooth or two cause the IP timing to change so drastically?

Is your OS unplugged, no timing reference?? Unless your stepper motor is unplugged, you have any codes? In which case I would expect the measured to be your base timing. So somehow you have the IP at exact base timing of 0, no advance and no retard.

Well, back at this after a 6 month break. :D

I haven't touched the truck since November. Charged up one of the batteries. Got it fired up on the 4th try. Idled nice. Ran about 5 minutes, then died, but no codes. Started back up, ran a minute then died, no codes. Started back up and kept running. I figured maybe since it sat so long, it just had something in the fuel that worked its way out.

Hooked up scantech, now my IP timing numbers are what they were before (39.25). Maybe the computer just had to adjust to the new CPS?

Anyway, the low coolant light came on, I shut it down. Checked the overflow and it was right at the min mark so I poured in a little Dexcool and brought it up to the full mark. Started it up again, and low coolant light came back on. Could the sensor be gummed up or something from sitting for so long or would there be something else to check?

anytime you replace the CPS you have to do a TDCO relearn for it to properly learn its timing. When warm at idle you IP timing should be around 30, not 40. Your IP is too far towards the drivers side. If you run timeset, you might see that your actual timing is 8 degrees when desired is 0, when it needs to be about 3.5 to 4 degrees.

And the measured and actual/desired injection timing should be like 9 degrees when warm.

Just to add to this, you said you suspected air in the fuel. The slightest bit of air will drive you crazy and trust me after dealing with a few air related problems the last few months the best thing to do is sight glass it at the IP. That will tell the tale for sure. If no air maybe tme for a bench test of the IP. Any idea how many miles on it ? Like Buddy said maybe try to get a dentisit mirror and see the tag on the back but if the truck ran fine and "developed" this problem I doubt it's the wrong IP. As Matt said, Air in the fuel has to be pre LP or it will show itself quickly as a pressurized leak.

Back