• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Coolant Loss

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys would consider it to be acceptable to have to add (anti freeze) engine coolant (Dex Coolant) from time to time in our Duramax trucks. I have had to add engine coolant 2 or 3 times in the past year after the low coolant light came on. More than once I thought I smelled anti freeze on the drivers side of my truck upon exiting. I got concerned about it and had the dealer to check for a leak when I had it there within the past year. Of course they claimed that they pressure tested the coolant system and could not find any leaks. I thought maybe I was just smelling something else, but if I am having to add anti freeze from time to time, I am thinking it is going somewhere such as a leak.

As you now by my signature my truck is a 2006 2500 HD of course with the LBZ. It has about 69,000 miles on it. Is there a particular AREA that I might need to look at as far as a location where it could be leaking at?

The quick connects for the heater hose connection are a known leak spot. The coolant hoses that go to the turbo are known to leak, the passenger side block off plate at the rear of the block is a semi comm9n leak point, and of course water pumps.

I would have guessed water pump because that is tough to find but with as low miles as you have I'm thinking something else

Commonly overlooked cap?

While most leaks occur hot, some leaks are present only cold, when the engine heats up things expand and seal.

Pressure test it cold, sometimes leaving pressure on it for a few hours before it reveals itself. If nothing, heat up and try same process hot.

There are also ultraviolet dye (like used in a/c). It takes a pint because of the volume in the system.

Thanks for the great info guys, I will focus on those areas and see if I can locate anything. My theory is always been if your having to add fluid, (other than a little motor oil now and then) then is some kind of leak somewhere. And I can't stand a leak of any kind being on a vehicle or a water pipe at a building.

Mine sprung a leak shortly after I purchased it at 38,000 miles in 2013, the leak was located at the pipe fittings just below the exhaust manifold connecting the water pump to the oil cooler.

I have added some coolant from time to time, but just from doing a visual check of the engine compartment. I have not had a low coolant light come on. And I have only had to add a little to the overflow tank to bring it up to the cold line. I chalk it up to being normal.

I have added some coolant from time to time, but just from doing a visual check of the engine compartment. I have not had a low coolant light come on. And I have only had to add a little to the overflow tank to bring it up to the cold line. I chalk it up to being normal.
Same here. On mine I think one of my quick connects under my cab for the rear heater lines occasionally drips because every once in awhile I'll have a coolant smell over there, but no traces on the engine. One of the downfalls to the BURB, theres ALOT of coolant hoeses running around it.

Back