• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Economy chip exists now?

I had/have his 40 HP chip in the 94. I didn't notice ANY changes in power or economy. But to be fair, this site didn't exsist and I knew nothing about the 'place'. Long story short, didn't know you had to go into comp and play a little (reset timing). That and about a month or so after I got the chip, it went BOOM, so nothing to report here...

Side note, is 2 yr old fuel bad for the fuel tank??? LOL

I'm not sure I'm following you on this. With an EPROM, you remove the OEM chip and replace it with the new one and you're done. There is nothing further to do to see performance gains, necessarily, except to drive the truck to compare. If you saw no gains, then I'd say you got hosed or your truck already had an aftermarket EPROM in it.

Lower boost = lower egt so yes.. economy. Remember the power that boost gives us has a cost.. backpressure. That's why the potential for Slim's new turbo which is SO much more efficient than the GM-X and light-years ahead of a GM-4 or older, is so damn interesting. It's like free power.. sign me up!

Here is a nice example: Last month, I drove from Reno, Nevada to Las Vegas, Nevada and back. Both directions, had the A/C on (it's Nevada kids...) going down, was in a hurry.. ran 78-79 MPH with the cruise control on, by GPS. Mileage was 21.28 MPG (Filled to the neck every time).

On the way back.. no too hurried, ran 68-70 MPH with the cruise on and Mileage was 27.79 MPG.

With the exception of the ridge at Tonopah, Nevada, it is a relatively flat run with 10-15 MPH crosswinds. If anything, the run down to Vegas should have been better since it is 2000 feet lower than Reno.

Seems to me, boost and my foot regulate mileage.

So what happens if i turn my turbomaster down or just plain turn it off with an empty load? should i see a mileage increase as long as there isn't any smoke?

Well, you want to keep the TM turned up enough to get boost when you need it. With my TM and the HP4 chip, I can use my foot to adjust my boost pressure.

I'm not sure I'm following you on this. With an EPROM, you remove the OEM chip and replace it with the new one and you're done. There is nothing further to do to see performance gains, necessarily, except to drive the truck to compare. If you saw no gains, then I'd say you got hosed or your truck already had an aftermarket EPROM in it.

Snow, I think that he is referring to adjusting the pump timing to see maximum gains...

Snow, I think that he is referring to adjusting the pump timing to see maximum gains...

Yeah, I kind of thought that, too, when I first read it, but in reading his first line again, I reconsidered. I understand about the timing and all, but honestly, the EPROM made the biggest "all at once" change for me. The timing change helps, I'm sure, but I didn't see huge gains at once.

I have know idea if this chip works or not, but I increasing mpg and power is definitely possible on my engines. I have been an engine machinist for many years and have always worked on engine buildups that make good power and are very efficient. The 83 blazer in my sig with the 396 gasser gets 21 mpg right now and will smoke all four tires for at least 30 feet on launch. It might do it farther but it starts to wheel hop real bad. It makes torque like a diesel. Every part in the engine is stock GM but as far as I know no 396 has ever been put together with this combination of parts. Most of the parts are did not come in a 396 at all including the crank, cam and heads. I haven't had the opportunity to play around with diesels as much as gassers. I have done quite a bit of power/mpg work on Detroit's thu and may of the same theory work. I have built several 3-53 and 4-53's that had major power increases and the operators think they also used less fuel. Mpg is hard to gage on a log skidder. The best they can do is figure gallons per 8 hour day.

Snow drift, I was sorta referring to that while I had Walts chip (its a 94), I did ricer math. Stinkin ricer math. I plugged the chip in expecting to be able to pull the house down, BUT it didn't. See, I didn't know ANYTHING about scantech or scanners at all for that matter. But as time goes on and finding the Pl*ce and now here, I have learned that in might not be just a "plug and play" type thing. More than one guy had to go and reset/check timing to get any or all benefits of a chip/reflash.

It's a package deal, no plug & play gains IMO, if you built your power plant as a system then you can make verifiable power & ecomomy gains, just this doodad added to that bobble ain't gonna git-R-done

When I put my new EPROM in, I already had a Banks exhaust, AFE air filter and had removed the snorkel and put on a turbo-master. Maybe that is the reason I saw such a huge gain when I popped in the EPROM.

My experience with Walt is he makes alot of claims. His PMD relocate is a prime example. He's good to buy some stuff from because he sells alot of stupid stuff that others don't but do your homework. I suppose a chip could give more mileage if it cut fuel and boost. Kinda be making it more like a 6.2.

I agree, when i get my truck going, i will NOT buy the FSD cooler, but i am looking at Walt's Stainless steel 4" exhaust. (if heath had one, i'd go to him)

Back