• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Economy chip exists now?

Deere Freek

Recruit
Reaction score
I was on ss diesels website and saw they had an economy chip/reflash. Is this so? has anyone tried it? he says that he had an 18mpg truck get 24mpg with the install. That would be a dream. My truck gets 19-23 highway, if i coud get 28? (fat chance of that)

That's what i would think but ask anyone if they thing that the truck in my sig can get over 21mpg in a consistant manner. Had a hard enough time with people at the 'place' telling them i got 21.42 mpg's going to iowa. my 2nd to last fillup had better than 20 mpg with 60 miles of trailer over 500 miles to the tank. My last fillup all highway i got 22.93 mpg's over 500 miles. Some things i've done is installed a performance air filter, turbomaster (less smoke), and found a source for low sulfer diesel. Unfortunately i did it all at once and don't know which to atribute the greatest mileage gains. Anyway, enough with my truck and back on topic, is there really that much you can do with tuning to gain 5mpg's by just installing a chip?

btw it also has a 25hp claim.

Well, I guess the only thing to do is wait for someone to actually buy one and install it.

It sounds awesome, but adding atleast 5mpg while adding 25 horsepower?

Does anyone have any info on Lyndon Westers' mileage tune? He's extremely well thought of on another GM truck non diesel site and claims to get huge mileage out of the Duramax.

My experience with Walt is he makes alot of claims. His PMD relocate is a prime example. He's good to buy some stuff from because he sells alot of stupid stuff that others don't but do your homework. I suppose a chip could give more mileage if it cut fuel and boost. Kinda be making it more like a 6.2.

IIRC, that's where SSD gets their chips.

Yep... Walt (SSDiesel) is selling Lyndon's (Westers Garage) chips, just re-badged.

And yeah, Lyndon has told people I trust that he has a mileage tune for the 6.5 ... and has had for a while.

Lyndon's a good guy, but ya know, I really think that if you want to get a mileage tune to work for a specific truck, you need to stick it on a Dyno (which he has) and play the "Tune & Tweak & Dyno Test and repeat as required" game...

I can see Lyndon doing that for somebody right in his shop, but the generic tunes sold over the internet aren't specific for any truck, just an average of the things that work.. I think it might be a bit of a crapshoot.

Just my opinion... I like Lyndon, and I'm not sure he would make the same wild claims that Walt sometimes does...

I would have thought if your driving to lean that it could cause problem with your IP +++... who knows...
/Paul

It isn't a matter of 'lean'... diesels don't work that way. You want lean, turn up your TM.
That's gasser-think.

It's probably changing shift points and lock settings, fuel settings at various places on the curve... stuff like that.

I agree with Snowdrift... nothing is free. If you want to get better mileage, you gotta give up something.

It isn't a matter of 'lean'... diesels don't work that way. You want lean, turn up your TM.
That's gasser-think.

It's probably changing shift points and lock settings, fuel settings at various places on the curve... stuff like that.

I agree with Snowdrift... nothing is free. If you want to get better mileage, you gotta give up something.

Thank`s for putting me on the right Road JiFaire, don`t want to start thinking like a gasser... still got much to learn...

Sorry, Sunshine... I'm too used to speaking in slang. By using the term 'Gasser-think', I meant thinking like somebody with a gasoline engine. "Lean" and "Rich" are a function of fuel-air mixtures, and Turbo-diesels have tons of air, but varied fuel amounts according to foot pressure.

according to walt's website, he states that your mileage will go up, but only sites one example of a test truck with real numbers... he also states that he makes no promises as to how much your mileage will go up, because every truck reacts differently. So, he is not making wild claims that everyone will get 25+ MPG,

I had/have his 40 HP chip in the 94. I didn't notice ANY changes in power or economy. But to be fair, this site didn't exsist and I knew nothing about the 'place'. Long story short, didn't know you had to go into comp and play a little (reset timing). That and about a month or so after I got the chip, it went BOOM, so nothing to report here...

Side note, is 2 yr old fuel bad for the fuel tank??? LOL

Well even if i get a 2mpg gain, driving 45,000 miles a year it would pay for itself in no time. I want to know if it's gonna do what it says at what cost. I might just have to be the guinne pig and try it out.

Here's an economy chip... get a 2x4 block and tie it to the underside of your APP. Presto! Economy!!

Boost=high egt=NO ECONOMY

Here's an economy chip... get a 2x4 block and tie it to the underside of your APP. Presto! Economy!!

Boost=high egt=NO ECONOMY

Deere Freak, please get the chip and ginnea pig it if you can afford to do so. I'm in the chip market soon and Economy is #1 issue for all mods.

Nvmtnilion, is that a rule of thumb? So LOWER EGT's = MORE MPG's?

Well i'm getting allot of overtime the next couple weeks so i might be able to try it out. My government check went toward an exhaust so i'll have to come up with some spare money. That or everyone here could send $20 to my paypal account j/k. Anyway i'll have to give him a call.

Lower boost = lower egt so yes.. economy. Remember the power that boost gives us has a cost.. backpressure. That's why the potential for Slim's new turbo which is SO much more efficient than the GM-X and light-years ahead of a GM-4 or older, is so damn interesting. It's like free power.. sign me up!

Here is a nice example: Last month, I drove from Reno, Nevada to Las Vegas, Nevada and back. Both directions, had the A/C on (it's Nevada kids...) going down, was in a hurry.. ran 78-79 MPH with the cruise control on, by GPS. Mileage was 21.28 MPG (Filled to the neck every time).

On the way back.. no too hurried, ran 68-70 MPH with the cruise on and Mileage was 27.79 MPG.

With the exception of the ridge at Tonopah, Nevada, it is a relatively flat run with 10-15 MPH crosswinds. If anything, the run down to Vegas should have been better since it is 2000 feet lower than Reno.

Seems to me, boost and my foot regulate mileage.

Back