• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duracell automotive batteries

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
Anybody use these? I was at batteries plus today and noticed a display today. Their prices were very appealing considering the Sears AGMs have gone up around $100 more to $269. They said they were made by Penn battery who also makes exide

Yeah there only a few parent mfrs out there. I have no experience with Deka. I usually seek out Josnson Control for better or worse.

Interstate has laid down the gauntlet with their AGM battery, or at least they boast it's the longest lasting battery.. And a clever commercial with a 50's lead sled abandoned in a swamp with the radio still on playing swing/big band music..

Yeah there only a few parent mfrs out there. I have no experience with Deka. I usually seek out Josnson Control for better or worse.

Interstate has laid down the gauntlet with their AGM battery, or at least they boast it's the longest lasting battery.. And a clever commercial with a 50's lead sled abandoned in a swamp with the radio still on playing swing/big band music..
I'll take a DEKA anyday of the week over a JOHNSON CONTROL's.

Too bad it's only the stuff JC made long ago that lasts worth a damn. Something about 'if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.' Just like the accelerated life tests of batteries out here that only make 2-3 years tops. Last I checked Interstate sold JC made Optima batteries for their AGM's. If that has changed it would be interesting and for the better.

After what JC did to Optima's quality I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole anymore.

A lot of these discussions on batteries have " my factory battery lasted x years". Usually not bad results for AC Delcos. Who makes those?

Like WarWagon, I see everyone wiping them out in the summer heat,-unless in freeze weather, then it's death by cold, right? How much life could be extended if the temp swing isnt so much? Could we do better with micro hvac units? More importantly to me, why does my brain get stuck on weird stuff like this?

I have had my batteries in my truck sometime late in 2010. Both batteries were purchased at the same time from O'Reilly's.

My wife replaced them in my truck all by her self.

I was deployed while this happened.

It has been over three years. I hope they last another three.

I haven't had any issues with JC batteries lately, but a friend of mine is having weird issues with Interstates in his 90 K1500.

My latest new battery pair is the Autocraft Golds (JC) sold by Advance Auto. They're 25 months old right now with no problems, tucked under the RF bed corner of the '93 . I guess time will tell the tale.

A lot of these discussions on batteries have " my factory battery lasted x years". Usually not bad results for AC Delcos. Who makes those?

Like WarWagon, I see everyone wiping them out in the summer heat,-unless in freeze weather, then it's death by cold, right? How much life could be extended if the temp swing isnt so much? Could we do better with micro hvac units? More importantly to me, why does my brain get stuck on weird stuff like this?

I have not had luck with AC Delco's. Even in cool Colorado. Usually they would leak at a battery post and take out the pan, cable, and any wires under the battery tray. Common issue since 2000 with them. Trucks don't often sit as long as cars so the sales lot doesn't ruin them new from sitting a long time.

Sadly the price increase the OP noted is likely from a certain lead smelter shutting down.

The death of my OE AC DELCO happened in '03. It was in my 2000 Camaro.. The entire positive terminal fell OUT in it's entirety.

Back