• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ducted Fuel Injection: The Future of Diesel?

Thanks for sharing. I read an article about this a few weeks ago. But it didn't go into that much detail on how it worked. If I remember correctly Ford has teamed up with these guy to bring this into production.

Biofuel and technically like this are going to keep the diesel engine alive long after gasoline engine are gone.

To me this looks similar to Mercedes last IDI engines where they used over a dozen outlets on there pre-chambers. It's breaking up the flame front and distributing it across a greater area.
Spot on it is a takeoff from the lat Benz IDI.
I still would like to do a conversion using that Benz diesel and there a strong aftermarket support for them too.....

Interesting. Sorta looks like an open rear precup. I have often wondered about the dead end cave shape of the existing IDI and thought that was the limiting thing that "choked the injection flame".

It’s like a blend of di and idi strong points- obviously di, but the idi advantage of super misting the fuel and causing a widened flame front by almost having multiple injectors in one. Pretty cool!

Thanks for sharing. I read an article about this a few weeks ago. But it didn't go into that much detail on how it worked. If I remember correctly Ford has teamed up with these guy to bring this into production.

Biofuel and technically like this are going to keep the diesel engine alive long after gasoline engine are gone.

There was a Yahoo article that went with it, but I thought the video was better.

The more I look at this and the concept behind it, the more I come to the conclusion that this tech will be more so used as a retrofit for LARGE diesels like in ships, power plants, or locomotives. For smaller engines like in pickups or even semi's, we already have common rail injection, and many new systems are capable of 5,6, 8, or even more injection's per cylinder cycle. With so many injection event's the fuel and flame front are already getting distributed throughout a large portion of the cylinder. In BIG diesel's, replacement or even just switching to modern injection could be very costly and not practical, but a basic retrofit to the cylinder head to install this device could be done fairly easily with at the most a cylinder head change and a new piston design to be installed during a major overhaul. So to me, this tech has more promise to keep cost's down by cleaning up old iron vs trying to revolutionize new engine design.

I’m just waiting to see who the first person is to chase this for a 6.5!
Bore out most of the precup for head gasket sealing and POW!

Back