• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

dually spring question.

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So I'd like to know if other duallys have the same rear springs as mine.
They're actually kinda irritating. They're kind of a progressive spring set up as the initial springs are soft enough that I'm constantly bumping into the main spring pack. So it feels really clunky. Doesn't seem right to me.

My single wheel 3500 feels the same way. Especially when I turn off the paved road onto my driveway.

My 3500 was on the overloads with the bale deck, rode rough. Put on air bags and the ride was much better until they gave out. I had 3250 lb leafs put in, regular were 2750 lb. Raised my back end up 4", with the deck on it is my nicest riding vehicle now.

Looks like mine but mine doesn't sit on the overload spring empty..

And I have air bags to be installed when ever I find the time tho I doubt that will do much empty as they hold 5psi empty.. probably make it bounce then..

I'll need to look tomorrow, it's sitting in the barn and it's poring rain now... seems like it's about the same but my old timers doesn't remember..

Sounds like your main pack has softened up and sagging some on you. I would expect to see close to 1-1.5 inches of clearance on the overloads and the bumpers. Maybe you could add a set of timbrens to help soften things up a bit. Otherwise remove the overload spring and install bags to deal with overload.

I used to sell and install timbrens and air bag helpers and air bag stand alone.
When I said air bags i did not mean air helpers.

Stand alone Air bags always give the best ride, safest, highest load capacity. But it is the most expensive way to go.

Timbrens are better than air bag helpers for construction workers, service trucks, etc. because of the set it and forget it usage. Timbrens KILL coil over helper springs in comparison. I will never recommend helper coil overs ever again after learning of timbrens.

If its a daily driver where comfort comes into play, the airbags win. More pricey and maintenance than timbrens.

The real advantage of airbags is if they not going to be maxed out all the time you can soften the springs and get easier deflection and a better ride from it because the spring effect is lessened. Consider semi trailers. If they haul normal loads then the are springs. As soon as the trailer is hauling anything easily damaged like audio visual equipment for tv, movie, etc production ONLY air ride will do. Whenever it is an expensive load or vibration is an issue, air ride is paid extra for.

Another option is something like calvert or rancho adjustable shocks at the same time. Pricey as hell, but nice results. You can have spring or airbag with more travel which allows absorbing more impact at quicker rate and can adjust it shocks to dampen at desired rate. Most use the dial on shock type and just learn 2 settings of empty rig, and heavy load. Others that are willing to spend a lot more get the dial on the dash and can change based on what they feel that day.
Wish I could afford those for mine, they are amazing.

I have 1 1/2" front & rear at the overload bumpers.

The air bags are Firestone and are self adjusting per loaded weight.

The bags are big truck style and are quality looking, I had a set on my 2500 and loved them.

The directions didn't say to remove the big top spring but that might soften & quite the empty ride some.. could just torch them and leave the pack bolted together I guess, may look into that when I install the kit.

So if I have uneven gaps front to rear do I have an issue that needs to be addressed? Didn't notice any broken leafs. Maybe the back side of the pack is fatigued more?

Other than a lumpy ride I wouldn't think it will hurt anything.
Sounds like the spring pack is weak is all..
May not be worth the cost of replacing the springs & ubolts, that would be up to you..

It concearns me enough I want to hassle you for pictures- good ones - that I am going to look at on my 65” hd tv when you post them.

If I wasn’t sure you wouldn’t load it heavy, drive on rough road, and drive in some remote places- probably could just say your ok without seeing it too. But... humor me. Take some pics,’please.

Back