• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dually conversion

Might be easiest to do a full axle swap and then add the bolt on hub adapters for the front.

I know the AAM 11.5 in the GMT-800 are the same axle housing between SRW and DRW. the hubs are different, caliper brackets, calipers, rotors are different. but everything else is the same.
I believe the pre GMT 800 trucks have different housings between the SRW and DRW models.

Guy is trying to get to a dually, the humvee rear might convert to duals but would prolly be pricey compared to one from a yard.

Yep, thats why I suggested it, just the PDF is part of the humvee manual, the rest is good info. I spent several hundred bucks before I found it. Got a set of the 3 1/2" drums, backing plates, hubs etc for a 3500 dually tho, I can't use em. Drums are matched first cut from NOS.

Looked up the TM, I stand corrected. I did notice something for the lift kit guys tho--wedge blocks that would rotate the axle for less U joint angle.

Dave in Libson, Ohio,

Is there any mining in Ohio? Maybe I can get a trip paid for to go and talk to them for a job interview. The swtate of Idaho will pay for the trip and room and board to go to interviews for school students. Boy now that is funny typing. I turn 43 in a couple of days but am a school student. Funny.:rofl:

I'd have to do some checking but I have a few friends that drive through all the time. Might be able to do a long distance swap.

There are some mining areas close by, not too sure exactly where... I am about 1hr from pittsburgh,pa and about 20 minutes north of chester, w virginia. I think there are some close though. I would actually like to see the truck and parts, and I am sure you would too... ( I am talkin wheels, bed, rear axle, and front adaptors) I really don't want to go back to steel wheels... but might be convinced.
Oh an sorry I took so long to get back....

Yeah i sold the steelies I had. Those wheels were just plain ugly. I have the wheels from a 07 Yukon on it now. My white bed would look awesome on your block cab. LOL I don't think you'd want this bed. It has bolt holes along the wheel wells and a large hole by the cab. But other than that it's cherry. I think I have pix in my garage of my pick up.

I figured I'd just get a local axel from the bone yard and the flares along with the front spacers. I had seen a 2500 around town with duals and he just mounted the flares to his standard box and they looked good. But I will have to see. Four more weeks of school and then it's time to find the money. (job)

my bed has holes from a fifth wheel but not the stacks, really not an issue for me, might try out a set of stacks to fill the hole. My bed is pretty nice also, just painted the whole truck, wouldn't be too bad to paint the bed to match, just a lil time an paint. Would prob be able to switch parts in a day if I had mine tore down waiting. Not tryin to talk ya into a deal, just talkin. I love my truck just no need for DRW. Oh, and I have full length running boards that wouldn't do me any good with SRW, saw that you had nerf bars, mebby a swap there too.... Just tryin ta think this through a lil bit. No biggie if ya went another way, was just throwin the idea out there....

The cost for me to go almost 2k miles (as the crow flies) would be a killer. Plus it would cost more to do that drive that for me to get parts localy. That would be roughly $1216 for fuel there and back. Not including food motel and the likes. If I pulled the fifth wheel then the cost would go way up. I can get the parts localy for alot less than that. But don't think if money was not an limiting factor, that I wouldn't do it in a heart beat.

WOW, Hadn't looked up the distance, prob should've done that..... DUH...... that's TOTALLY understandable, must have had a MAJOR brain fart..... good luck though hope it works out for ya....

To the OP, did you ever get the swap done? Lately ive been thinking more and more about doing a swap. Already picked a sweet set of moto metal dually rims and have been looking at ditching the bed and going with poly fenders to start with.

No I haven't. Between school and getting a job, I haven't had the time. I did price out the front hub extentions at the local yards and found some for 20 bucks each. The axel was not as easy to find. I found a guy that has axels for pretty cheap ($150) but he didn't want mine. Just need to get the parts together and do it. And I need to replace the new heads again. One is still leaking coolant into the crank case. I found a set close for free that have about 10k on them and are crack free so that will take priority over the swap.

Did not see this thread the first time around.
I did exactly that, change SRW to dually.

On 4x4 you need front adaptors and wheels as said. The rear I used another "square" adaptor. Square means lug holes and lug studs are same diamentions.
I do not remember the thickness of it, seem to remember around 2 5/8" they were also hub centric adaptors.
I looked a long time for a dually axle, but never found one for less than $700! Now that Im not looking I've seen a few for $150ish.
You need the dually bed also.

I'm not about to spacer the rear. I've heard good and bad. As for the bed I checked the wheel openings and it looked like all I would need is the flairs so to speak. I've thought about doing the flatbed deal but with the cost of even used ones, forget that. I'll plug away at it when I get the time and money.

On a side note Leroy, I never could get my GMTD Scan to work with MS Vista operating system so I picked up a "pick up only" netbook that runs off XP. Use it for maint logs and the scanner only and get rid of all my paper logs. :D:thumbsup:

Not a spacer, an adaptor. Very different, same idea as the front adaptors. I have no problem with the idea as the FF rear axle is very robust. If anything the front is the weak link.
The fleetside bed could be cut and fenders added (i think thats about all the factory did). Or, you could get custom with it and mod up a step side to fit.

I remember you had problems loading the software, glad you got it solved.

Back