• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dually conversion

jhornsby3

Reaction score
I want to convert my SRW K2500 to dually. What all is needed to do this. The pick up is the HD version. Don't really need the 1 ton springs but would like the stability of the duals when towing the 5er.

Thanks,

John

Rear axle, wheels, and front axle spacers. Brake lines MIGHT be different on the axle so get those too. It should be a nearly bolt in swap, get the regular 3500 dually NOT the cab and chassis axle.

I was told that I don't need to change out the rear axle. The one I have sits in from the fronts by about 1.5 inches on both sides. I was told that would be the same as a 1ton axle. I'm questioning that is why I mention it. I was also told that the front is just a bolt in spacer found only in the 4X4 pick ups. Is that true too.

Thanks,

John

The front hub adapters are on 2wd and 4x4's. There is alot of debate over axle widths but someone here has put Singles on a dually axle and they were wider in the rear than the front. I think they are all the same housings just different hubs, shafts, and backing plates.

I'll have to do some measuring to see for sure. I'd like to not have to spend on the axle if I can get away from it. And don't want to space the crap out of either.

If I had my 00 Dually near by I would measure for you. I am pretty sure you will be about 2-3" too narrow on each side, I think drum clearance might be the issue.

That is what I was afraid of. I guess I could do like the rest of the sheeple here and drink that koolaide. (get a dodge dually) But I'd rather not. Maybe even look harder at that 04.5 GMC four door dually with 60k on it, I found the other day. Only one problem with it. IT'S WHITE!!!!!! :WTF: :rof:

Friggin white trucks.... They are always the right price though.

A whole rear axle should be easy enough to come by. Heck alot of people want to trade from dually to single rear, might trip over someone wanting to trade if you post on Craigslist or something.

Yeah might have to try that. Before I start throwing money at that I guess I should replace my (new) leaking heads. I have some new ones that I picked up for free the other day.

Can you just use spacers on the rear then bolt on the dually rims?

Basically this conversion just consist of spacers and dually rims?

Been thinking about this conversion for a while myself.

2" spacers is too much if you ask me. I wouldn't want to put that much stress on the bearings. I'll have to see if I can find the numbers for this.

The heads might be free but that last new ones were $400 each and they have porosity issues and are leaking coolant into the crank case. Replaced the head gaskets three times thinking it was the gaskets. Well the first time was the gaskets or bolts not torqued to spec by the helper. I still need to get bolts and gaskets to install them. Oh and the time.

They make 3 1/2" dually spacers for the rear to do a bolt on dually swap. I'm pretty sure fred's makes em, but hang on once you see the price.

If I go rear spacer it will just cost me the price of the steel. I have a friend that has a full service machine shop. It would just be a matter of calling him to order the steel and then he could just turn them, or rather have me turn them and drill out the lug holes and be done. But with Murphy always lurking around, I'd just as soon do it right and not give ol Murph a reason to show up when out and away from the garage

Problem with spacers is you will have to find a way to get longer studs. The best way is to bolt spacers to original studs and have separate studs through the spacer.

I agree, since this truck is more than a street queen and will see trailers you need to do it right

why not just get the dually rims and see how they fit? the newer chevy trucks and vans have the bolt on spacer in the front maybe source a set of them for your front. junk yard or a dealership would have them

I have been tossing around the idea of changing mine to a SRW..... Might be able to deal with someone if they could travel to me.... I have capabilities of swapping parts.....I just don't need the DRW.... he!! I don't really need a 1 ton....But I have alot into this rig and love it, sept the DRW bugs me from time to time...

Dave in Libson, Ohio,

Is there any mining in Ohio? Maybe I can get a trip paid for to go and talk to them for a job interview. The swtate of Idaho will pay for the trip and room and board to go to interviews for school students. Boy now that is funny typing. I turn 43 in a couple of days but am a school student. Funny.:rofl:

I'd have to do some checking but I have a few friends that drive through all the time. Might be able to do a long distance swap.

Can tell you from trying it on my sig. The axle stub is a different diameter where the bearing is, and a different offset to the end of the stub axle so inner bearing has different ID and hub sticks out too far. Backing plates are dished and need 2+" of spacer to line up with the drum. I was not trying for dual wheels, just wider brakes and removeable drums. No go IMHO. You would need to measure the spring bosses on the DRW axle compared to yours.

Back