• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DTC 35

from my conversations with Simon we were assuming the slide in the IP the stepper motor attaches to was sticking, probably from water. But....... we were just guessing

My guess would still be the optic sensor. Easy change if you can get ahold of one cheap. Unplug wire, snap ring comes off, and out she comes. I would at least try pulling it and giving it a scrub down with some kerosene on a terry cloth towel. Just make sure the o ring is all the way at the top when it slides back in. If it's the stepper motor then I'm no help there.

My guess would still be the optic sensor. Easy change if you can get ahold of one cheap. Unplug wire, snap ring comes off, and out she comes.

I would at least try pulling it and giving it a scrub down with some kerosene on a terry cloth towel.
Just make sure the o ring is all the way at the top when it slides back in.

If it's the stepper motor then I'm no help there.

Sorry Will, There is more involved than that,:agreed:

Neither is the scrub down, it ain't exactly like doing the dishes:nonod:

The eye is located in a recess in the copper plate on one side and the receiver is behind a 1mm wide slot in the opposite side.
The disc slot is about the thickness of a credit card.

One needs really really small monkey with a really small towel to get in there and clean them out :hihi: but maybe you or someone else knows another trick to do this other than sloshing it around in a can of acetone.

Replacing the stepper motor is easy though.

Attachments

• Optical Sensor 001.jpg
    Optical Sensor 001.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Optical Sensor 002.jpg
    Optical Sensor 002.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Optical Sensor 003.jpg
    Optical Sensor 003.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Optical Sensor 004.jpg
    Optical Sensor 004.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4
With a hand towel, cut off the edge (its too thick) soak it in kerosene and pulling it side to side work it in the slot. It didn't just fall in place, but I've done it. We had an engineer from gm show us the trick when we were experimenting w/ different bio fuels at the field test lab for unical in Vegas. Doesn't always work, but if its just some ugly crap in the fuel it usually did the trick. Although I like the monkey idea more...wait ...was I their monkey?!?

I've thought of that towel trick but me thinks that towel will just shine up the inside surface of the copper plates but not reach the eyes as they're are recessed well below the surface of the plates.
Ah well,.. i'll figger something out.
I might even cut one in half and see what it looks like in there.

If ya have one that's counted as bad, it's not like you can break what's already broken, right? Chop a bad one up and maybe you'll see something as a better way to recover them. I like my method of using the db2 tool.

Yes Leroy.
Now, each cold start is a bit difficult, but she starts. Not worse, I would even say, a bit better than a wekk ago.
During the first 10 minutes, time for the engine to reach it's temperature, the MIL lights ON every now and then, as soon as I accelerate. It goes off as soon as I release the accelerator or WOT.

After the engine reaches it's temp, no more MIL ON, almost easy start, like if normal... runs fine, no smoke, no noise (tough a bit clanky cold - TDCO at -0.55 though) not a hiccup

I have a spare IP that I will put on a Ted's 6.2l then swap the all thing... once we get time to do it

Back