• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DTC 35

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
My rig is lightening the MIL ON, throwing a DTC35. She does that especially in the 5 minutes following cold start, at acceleration.
The MIL turns Off if I release the accelerator OR if I floor the pedal, WOT...

At cold, no or slight vacuum in the tank. Untill the past days, she is now experiencing difficult start when cold: I have to crank a long time, sometimes 2/3 times, before she finally starts. When she starts, the engine spins slowly first (probably around 2-300 rpms), then accelerate up to the nominal 6-700 rpms, roughly, with white smoke.
After few seconds to 1/2 a minute, the engine runs smooth, but at normal iddle speed - 650 rpms-, same as if it is hot.

IP is only few months old, it's a brand new 5521S. I have a DAHL 65 fuel water separator with a transparent bowl, so I can see no air before the Fuel filter manager

Lift pump is a FRC-10, on which I just cleaned the embedded filter. Yesterday, just before starting, I hot wired the LP, and.... nada. I plug and unplugged the hot wire several times, nothing.
I kept it hot wired , then the lift pump started itslef...

During the day, after this morning start up, engine starts easy, no MIL On, no white smoke...

I'm a bit at lost...

os not clear comes to mind.
Do you use any additives, red dye diesel, etc?

Maybe when you cleaned it, some crap got to the optic sensor and is blocking it a bit. Try some sea foam or kerosene to clean it.

My rig is lightening the MIL ON, throwing a DTC35. She does that especially in the 5 minutes following cold start, at acceleration.
The MIL turns Off if I release the accelerator OR if I floor the pedal, WOT...

At cold, no or slight vacuum in the tank. Untill the past days, she is now experiencing difficult start when cold: I have to crank a long time, sometimes 2/3 times, before she finally starts. When she starts, the engine spins slowly first (probably around 2-300 rpms), then accelerate up to the nominal 6-700 rpms, roughly, with white smoke.
After few seconds to 1/2 a minute, the engine runs smooth, but at normal iddle speed - 650 rpms-, same as if it is hot.

IP is only few months old, it's a brand new 5521S. I have a DAHL 65 fuel water separator with a transparent bowl, so I can see no air before the Fuel filter manager

Lift pump is a FRC-10, on which I just cleaned the embedded filter. Yesterday, just before starting, I hot wired the LP, and.... nada. I plug and unplugged the hot wire several times, nothing.
I kept it hot wired , then the lift pump started itslef

During the day, after this morning start up, engine starts easy, no MIL On, no white smoke...

I'm a bit at lost...
IP issue,it'll only get worse over time.
I suggest get an other one while it is still under warranty.

Although it needs fixing the LP running or not has nothing to do with this particular IP issue

Alain, I had the same IP issue on my 98 for 4-5 years( long story as this IP was first in another truck on another engine which displayed the same problem then too) till i finally replaced it last spring with one from my assortment of dealer take offs with a failed PMD,...no problems anymore.
First it was only at cold start up but in the end it did it even when hot,Restarting multiple times often cleared it up but sometimes it puttered along short of dieing and smoked like there was no tomorrow for 10 min before it finally came back to life,... it never set a code though.
Swapping PMD's made no diff,..i tried all the good used ones i had back then and 2 new ones.

Your code 35 could well be air passing through or vacuum in the IP cause of your LP problem but AFAIAC it won't cause that sub idle and the smoking.
But hey, fix the LP issue and try again,..sometimes pigs do fly.

Yeah, if its (ip) under a warranty- get it swapped asap. Not a pmd thing. I agree sucking air or lack of fuel could generate part of the problem, but not all you are describing.

The LP is not acting right if you power it up and it does not come on each time. And you could have air sucking problems creating tiny air bubbles in the fuel that make it hard to be seen by the os. Try this: a 1 gallon fuel can tied to the hood so it can gravity feed down to the IP. Hook it up instead of the LP. If the IP can not run properly from this under a no load condition, it has problems. It should be able to draft enough fuel at sustained high rpm under no load.

If you do this and it fails, get in contact with the supplier and find out their requirements for replacement. If it is not under any warranty, and you want to try dragging out the most life before replacing the IP, Then I would run out the rest of the fuel in the tank with a bottle of sea foam.

What about additives used, any wvo, or anything in the fuel that could dirty the os?

The MIL lights ON (code 35) only after the cold start, and during the 10 minutes which follows. After that, it never shows up during the day. Same for the start, even if she stays on the side for several hours.

The trouble sonly occur when the engine is cold, after resting 24 hours or more.

I disconnected the temp sensor on the T-stat housing. She started very easy, no smoke, just a little rattle, then the engine goes smooth, at high iddle; like it should when cold.

MIL still goes ON (DTC 35) on acceleration during the 5/10 minutes after start, then completely disappear...

After resting 3 hours, again a longer cranking and a few smoke to start...

ECM?

I don't know how to link on tapatalk, but if you search for a thread titled hard cold start started by me you can read about my issues.

Al, If you have a known good working IP you could replace parts and let us know what cured it.:)

Back