• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ds4 on Ford IDI?

Its the 4 pronged wheel in front of crank gear yes. Its metal, and on the stock sprocket design its part of the sprocket.

Is it those metal tabs on the reluctor that move past the windings on the crank sensor to get the reading? Sorry, I have never seen the crank sensor setup and am curious how it works. I have read about it but just never seen the sensor and the related parts...

You might be able to use the pickup wheel from a 5.7L VORTEC. They used a simliar pickup wheel, but it was not part of the timing set.

So I was looking at the Ds4 online and was curious if I could make the optic sensor and or stepper motor work going in the opposite direction? For those of you who have had a Ds4 apart would that be feasible or is it for certain even needed? I guess what I'm saying, are we even sure that it will not work in reverse on a Ford?

Also as for the PMD, it is completely feasible that I might be able to make something work to improve it. I would have help from done friends as well. My job actually involves circuit card repair, so I hope I could find something to work for you guys. If someone actually wanted to send one my way, I would actually be willing to look at it and throw in the necessary parts for free. Just figured I would throw that out there. Pm me if you ate interested.

Also as for the PMD, it is completely feasible that I might be able to make something work to improve it. I would have help from done friends as well. My job actually involves circuit card repair, so I hope I could find something to work for you guys. If someone actually wanted to send one my way, I would actually be willing to look at it and throw in the necessary parts for free. Just figured I would throw that out there. Pm me if you ate interested.

You'd be the 1000th person to say they could redo the PMD but no one ever does. If you can, you'll make a killing.

What about just redoing the timing setup and have a new cam made, I think that would be easier in the long run.

And yeah, I understand people being hesitant to believe someone will figure it out. I just have access to military grade component part numbers and info. I do circuit card repair for a living in the Navy and might be to find a resistor that might work and then find a supplier somewhere else. Just figured I would offer.

And are you talking about making the Ford IDI spin the same as a Chevy? Is that what you mean?

I believe he is referring to the pmd/fsd. It has been a nightmare since it was invented.

Making the DS for work on the Ford engine is a very doable thing. That's just going to take time and some money, there's two or three ways that would work previously mentioned here. It's all just would take some machining and fabrication.

As for fixing the pmd/fsd, that is something that multiple multimillion dollar corporations have gotten nowhere near yet, does that mean it can't be done? Absolutely not. Making that happen will make you a serious chunk of cash.

Seems all the PMD/FSD's I have seen are about the same package size/shape to compete with original equipment requirements . Until recently most all wanted it mounted on the IP.

I have always wanted to see a little bigger unit with maybe more components in parallel to share the load and beefier overall construction. Since the best solution seems to be remote mount I could see 3x original size or some more as acceptable.

And yeah, I understand people being hesitant to believe someone will figure it out. I just have access to military grade component part numbers and info. I do circuit card repair for a living in the Navy and might be to find a resistor that might work and then find a supplier somewhere else. Just figured I would offer.

And are you talking about making the Ford IDI spin the same as a Chevy? Is that what you mean?

No one is hesitant, but if you want to fix it, go for it. As I said and others, we hear this time and time again but people either start and run or spend money and energy and build a worse mousetrap. Like I said, if you do it and fix it, you'll make a killing and you'd be a hero. :cool:

I suggested that swap to a dual idler setup or maybe a timing chain on the Ford, have a cam made so it runs backwards then you don't need to modify the internals on the DS4.

I was thinking about it more and I could use an idler gear in between the cam gear and IP gear to spin the IP the same way as it was built. After that swapping the injector lines to Fords firing order and it should work. It seems somewhat more feasible now. It will definitely be a project for later down the road though.

Back