• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Does a charge air cooler help

Just goes to amplify that 'boost junkies' are full of hot air. Power comes from cooler air and lower psi. I always get a good laugh out of somebody throwing ~20 psi into their 6.5 when I got the same dyno numbers with 12 - 14 and *no* intercooler.

For the video, it reinforces that there is no free lunch and the best path is to use passive cooling for the charge air.

Watching the video one thing I took from it was each time they made the air cooler, they added a small amount extra of fuel. for our engines I assume adding a cooler we would need to have the PCM tune add a little fuel as well? or will it auto adjust to compensate the a/f ratios somehow.

I know on some of the gassers I have seen where the PCM can adjust or compensate to a degree in some conditions.

or would this even be a factor to consider on a normal stockish setup

Yeah, this is similar to the point Banks made - his is more technically correct in the focus should be on air density. That’s because you can have same temperature and different power results because the air will be more dense at Different elevation.
This is why he is pushing for people to get away from just boost and iat numbers.

Does more boost give more power- yes
Does colder air give more power-yes
But only if those items are creating more air density. When you can control multiple items to give the air density- you get power.
The lower the temperature the more oxygen molecules in that cubic foot.

When doesn’t a cac help? When you already have more oxygen than you are going to consume. Or When you have to move the air so far that lag occurs.
If you don’t get the air hot enough to need to be cooled- it isn’t gonna help, but that is rarely the case. Putting around at 25 mph - not really gonna effect you. But any hard acceleration or constant demand- heck yeah.

On the gas engines- remember they don’t always have 100% of the air flow available to the cylinder that it can consume. Their rpm is regulated by that air flow. If they don’t get enough fuel to match that air flow, the fire is going to burn to rapidly because they will have so much oxygen- that you have an oxygen rich environment. Think apollo 1. Basically the metal in the cylinder becomes flammable so you burn up the piston, valave edges, etc. You need 3 things for fire: oxygen, fuel, heat (ignition). Gas engines always have the heat /ignition from spark plug. It will get the oxygen from piston movement and needs only small amount of gas to get it going. So they have to match the fuel to the oxygen going in or they will turn the metal into the fuel. Literally the top of their piston melts becoming a fuel source.

Diesel- we have no spark only heat from compression. So if we don’t give enough fuel- the heat generated isn’t powerful enough to ignite the metal. So our engine starves of fuel and dies. If diesel burns a hole in a piston it is from excess fuel actually burning on top of the piston like a backyard campfire gone wrong.

As to the “hot air intake” issue- when you have a restricted intake/ filter system you can see improvements by getting rid of it and putting a less restrictive filter there. But that same filter will do better out of the hood.
All GM trucks has always had horrible air flow to the engine. Like 1940s up until the duramax. L5P is first one they got ahead of the curve on.

as for introducing a lag or too large of a charge cooler, I have seen guys use or recommend the cooler from a dodge cummins. I'm curious if that would be too large (take too long to "fill up and pressurize") and cause a lag with a stock setup. also considering the amount of room our trucks have for adding one in the mix. I might do some digging around for what might work as a remote mount. maybe one from something like a Jetta would work fine for a stock setup.

as for introducing a lag or too large of a charge cooler, I have seen guys use or recommend the cooler from a dodge cummins. I'm curious if that would be too large (take too long to "fill up and pressurize") and cause a lag with a stock setup. also considering the amount of room our trucks have for adding one in the mix. I might do some digging around for what might work as a remote mount. maybe one from something like a Jetta would work fine for a stock setup.
And the MG guys, installing a 3.8 grand national engine with turbo, mounting the turbo in the trunk of the car cause they didnt want to carve into the fire wall.
I wonder what kind of lag they acquire from that ?

I have one from I think a Volvo (don't really remember) that I am going to try some day.

Rear axle is where vette has em. I was thinking about it for my hummer but idea of ripping the oil line when offroading was too concerning.

Normally you keep the piping size down so it keeps up speed of airflow. Smaller innercooler needed because the piping sheds heat along the way and you can do an inline heat exchanger style so no change in direction occurs.

Back