• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Do you notice anything wrong in this picture?

Looks like the heat shield is touching pipe? Get some string, tie it up, good to go.
Only other thing I see wrong is not enough light on subject.

Not easy to see in that pic but the yokes are out of time.
Yep, it looks like the yoke at the transfer case is out of time with the one after the carriage bearing. Would make for a NASTY vibration as the driveshaft speeds wouldn't match as the shafts eliptical motions wouldn't match.

Because the cross member is fixed and the ujoint can not really articulate gross amounts and it has a slip joint whats the problem? A little accelerated wear on the slip joint? Has it developed appreciable vibration from worn slip joint and or carrier bearing?

The driveshaft connected to the rear end is probably solid and can't get out of time is more critical I think.

Is the cross member bent / buckled up on passenger side or optical illusion?

My truck is a shortbed ext cab and I don't have a carrier bearing on driveshaft. I haven't really dealt with them much.

Yep, it looks like the yoke at the transfer case is out of time with the one after the carriage bearing. Would make for a NASTY vibration as the driveshaft speeds wouldn't match as the shafts eliptical motions wouldn't match.
You got it!
The yokes are out of time by 35 or so degrees,. the sIipjoint has 1 wide spIine so the sIipyoke can ony sIide on in this outa wack position.
This is on a 1 owner 94 chevy dooIy, drive Iine has neer been thatched and stiII has the factory u-joints.
Owner says the truck aIways drove smooth as siIk.
This is the second truck i have seen this factory F up,....my 98 had it too but i have straitened that one out as it had a vibration.

Yup, I said beverage. Whatever your favorite is. Mine lately has been chocolate/peppermint foo foo coffee. Tastes like candy and keeps me awake :D

You got it!
The yokes are out of time by 35 or so degrees,. the sIipjoint has 1 wide spIine so the sIipyoke can ony sIide on in this outa wack position.
This is on a 1 owner 94 chevy dooIy, drive Iine has neer been thatched and stiII has the factory u-joints.
Owner says the truck aIways drove smooth as siIk.
This is the second truck i have seen this factory F up,....my 98 had it too but i have straitened that one out as it had a vibration.

QUIT "FIXING" THIS!!!

They come from the factory like this for a reason and your photo is a correct setup! The rear u joint and center U joint "pair" need to match only - if it's out the driveshaft is twisted. The transfer case to center bearing U joint is out of time with the rest as it doesn't need to be in time with anything because it is a single U joint not like the "pair" in the rear. There are supposedly less vibrations (harmonic) when it isn't in time with the rear pair. 1993's didn't have a master spline and apparently that came out on 1994's. I have had no less than 2 drive shaft shops set the drive shaft 'out of time' for the front U joint when servicing the drive shaft on my 1993. This includes re-balancing, straightening, U Joints, center bearing etc. Both shops say they come factory like this and best I recall the reason is above.

Back