• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

If someone sends me free tuning software and free definition files I would help tune DMax's. I offer free advice every day on a lot of things, just like a lot of guys.

If someone sends me free tuning software and free definition files I would help tune DMax's. I offer free advice every day on a lot of things, just like a lot of guys.

Go to EFILIVES website and download it, it is COMPLETELY free. Then go here or elsewhere and download some tunes. I'm no tuning expert, but I do find it enjoyable to do. So long as nobody is on a time constraint I do the tuning for free. If they want it in a short amount of time, then they can go to one of the great vendors out there and pay for it. It's a hobby to me, nothing more. And MOST of my tuning has been done on the LB7 which is a standard wastegated IHI turbo set to 18 pounds of boost stock(01's were set to 22 at the wastegate, but limited via tuning to about 21). The VVT engines are a whole nother ball game to tune though, and the 06+ BOSCH ECM has a STEEP learning curve. I find the 6.5 tuning enjoyable compared to doing an 07.5+ LMM. Spending 3-4 hours just doing the offset tables gets tiresome. I see some great potential here though for the "thrifty" 6.5ers.

Once we get some BIN files sorted out, and some basic tuning concepts laid out, and hopefully a vendor to support this new found addiction, we can try and get a sticky made regarding mechanical limitations of the DS4 pump, what those translate to for tuning, some basic tuning concepts, and a general breakdown of what role fuel, timing and boost play.

If you get the one that is basically an HX35, 12cm^2 turbine housing, it should spool fast enough that it will take about any timing and fueling adjustments just fine down low. You also have to realize the refernce that timing is based on. The 6.5 uses cam referenced which is half crank timing, so these things are pretty well advanced at idle, 17-22 degrees crank timing, compared to what modern stuff is. Not all of the stock programs had that much idle advance, but 9-10 degrees at idle makes it feel pretty good off the line, engine power wise.

The tables are marked cam timing at the pump, but they obviously reference crank timing. The DS4 IP only has 11 degrees total advance to retard movement in the plunger arrangement. So 22 degrees of timing at idle would be almost maxed out on the timing. With a 0 TDCO the DS4 pump can allow for a MAX of 25.5 degrees of crank referenced timing advance. 0 TDCO is 3.5 degrees advanced(time set reference), and add on 22 degrees of advance gets you a max of 25.5 crank advance. So even at a 1.94 TDCO, you could only hope to hit 27.44 degrees MAX timing in theory(I realize transfer pressure internally to the pump also plays a part, and gives a few degrees of timing +/- either way depending on input line pressure and internal pump pressure). And as far as timing goes, in reality you only want to have about 10 degrees actual advance, but this could easily come out to 25 degrees advance at the pump. It takes time for teh pressure rise to make it from the pump to through the line to the injector, hence why commanded timing and actual timing WILL be different. Sort of like how the 9 degrees idle timing comes out to about 0-3 degrees retarded timing actually(3 degrees after top dead center is what most of the specs call for when checking idle timing with a timing light).

Its nice and all, but what if I said I am going to start tuning DMax's to bring that community a lot that they have been lacking? I would be pretty arrogant in my opinion. It sure doesnt say a lot about those sponsors and their knowledge and time they put into it. I collaborated with Kojo, so I know he knows a lot of the ins and outs of the programming. I dont know what the other guys know.
I don't know a DAMN thing. You guys are WAY beyond my pay grade with this EPROM programming. All I know is what I want for a final tune for the work truck's OBD-I and for the Suburban's OBD-II results-wise for my two diesels.

The timing is cam referenced, which is half of crank timing. This is why when you set -1.94 TDCO, guys used to say you are going from 3.5 degrees to 8, without ever realizing what they were saying. Because -1.94 is about 4 degrees cam timing, which is 8 degrees crank. And then yes it takes time for the actual inejction event. There are actual crank referenced timing values, but they are 16-bit values in the programming.

A newer $FD.xdf has been posted to the Dripspeed Diesel website, courtesy of rainstate. It is also reflected in the dripspeed.com/6.5 directory of files.

Thanks rainstate!

I believe I found a problem in this latest .xdf file in how it updates the checksum. I know slim tried to do some real time emulating on his and ran into trouble with it. I looked it over and I think I found it but will wait to hear back from him first to see if it works before I post it up.

Somehow your read of the chip failed. It zipped and attached just fine, but the .bin file was full of bad data to begin with.

Back