• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

Man, you guys are WAY beyond this old fart's pay grade with this OBD-I code assembly/disassembly tuning stuff! All I want to know when you all are done playing Dr. Frankenstein with our OBD-I brains, is if any of you have come up with a really good economy tune for my '94 C&C C2500 with a 3.42 rear and 4L80E running a GM4 turbo and could somebody PLEASE remove the 82 MPH speed limiter that evidently was part of the chip's stock programming for Cab and Chassis commercial platforms, as I was getting tired of not being able to run with the traffic flow out on the interstate!

You cn bump up the timing and pull out boost at cruise to help with milage(GM did this in later chips). And yes it is a walk in teh park to remove teh speed limiter. I set slims at 127.5 in his as that was as high as it could go(theres another one I set to 255 though, so I don't know which one will take precendence). I'm waiting to see if slim can get his going as I'm curious how the changes I made wil laffect the ATT with his engine combo. And I have some ideas for how to maybe overcome the 80MM3 of fuel limit once the .xdf files are all squared away.

I'm not sure if that will work or not as it changed the checksum to 00 00 in the HEX code when I did it this way.

Tried to burn that chip tonight, no go. service engine soon light comes on no glow controller and scan tool reads no data. Not sure what is going on.

Heres one for the BPAA guys to try. Nothing special, and will run mostly stock to 3/4 throttle. Should have a decent kick up top at WOT. Reduced boost for cruise to help with milage, and some added advance as well for cruise(and a slight bump up top). Try it out and see how it does.

View attachment BPAA-1.zip

Well guys, I have the repository up and running. You can register, log in and out, upload files, download files. Right now files you have flagged as private are basically inaccessible. You can't delete files you've uploaded, and you can't edit descriptions.

However you CAN upload files with a description and a base image listed.

This is in preparation for my chip adapters & burning. I'm not selling anything yet, because I haven't received the PCBs from China. Its all coming together.

So heres the website, don't make too much fun of me, I havent done any design or dev work in over 5 years. http://www.diesel.dripspeed.com

DRIPSPEED DIESEL!

@thedrip Nicely done. Looks great. @ Thefermanator, just burned the chip, going to go try it.

Let me know how it goes. It should drive stock up until about 3/4 throttle, but keep fueling beyond that where stock it basically dies off. It may need teh boost pulled down a touch up top for peak performance(think I set it around 12-13 at sea level). Once I get a basic feel for the tuning, theres a few other things I would like to try to see if the 80MM3 limit can be pushed through some internal offsets.

Took it for a short drive. Idles good. To be able to tell how it's doing I have to work my way through a lot of problems that happened when I had the engine rebuilt. The mechanic meant well, but......
1. He hired a man to do the job that botched it. 2. Fired the man, but that didn't make my tachometer work, my shifter regain it's correct configuration, my egt guage come back, my head studs seal correctly, or my a/c work. I tried to not work on my own vehicle for once, but now am going to be paying dearly fixing the things that weren't even a problem when the engine grenaded.
The boost (with the hole where the thermocouple has disappeared) is hitting about 15 psi on the guage. I need to hook it up to scantech to get accurate readings, although they have matched the boost guage in the past.
I'll try to work through a bunch of the issues tomorrow, and keep you posted on the results.
Thanks for the good work.

You have to use 64kbyte files for PCMs. Any OBD1 PCM, auto or tranny. If not, you are cutting off a lot of the execution code. All the calibration tables are in the first 32kbytes, but the whole program is 64kbytes regardless. That is, each one is 512 kilobits, you use a 512 kilobit EPROM, divide by 8 to get kilobytes.

The TCMs from mechanically injected trucks use a 32 kilobyte program, but you cannot run that on a PCM. If someone got a 32kbyte PCM program, its likely because they used the wrong EPROM identifier, picked a 256 kilobit one so the reader only read the first 32 kilobytes.

Buddy is absolutely correct. That was my fault.Just got to the code section in the bin and it's not all there. I was looking for certain code and non accessed ram to make sure it was there. Never had the opportunity to look at a standard trans bin for the 6.5. But have with a gas engine and it is a 32KB file with alot of padding/fills in it, but that was one file. sorry for the confusion.

OBD-I Broadcast Code database is now online. I scraped information from a few sources, and combined it all into one database. I think its complete, and it might even be accurate. This is a list of every broadcast code (chip code, like BPAA) used for OBD-I 6.5s. Includes turbo and naturally aspirated. Even auto-links a download of a stock bin image, if one exists in the repository. Click on the column headers to sort, click on the broadcast code for more complete information.

http://www.diesel.dripspeed.com/bcc.php

Just one more thing Dripspeed Diesel has added to this world =).

The one piece of information I wasn't able to suck up for each and every BCC, is which injection pump it is for. That would be quite handy!

WOW! I remember when my ECM failed, it took over a week to get a replacement one from GM because it had a unique chip code for the C2500 C&C F motor 4L80E with 3.42 rear. It had to come from some parts warehouse clear across the U.S.

If anyone knows of a database I could scrape to get more complete application info for those BCCs, it would be terrific. Each has 1-5 RPO's listed in the detailed view, but there is no way it is a complete listing.

There is the C.A.T.S. database that is handy for quick lookup, and TSBs have a lot of the info as far as which ones are for which pump and which ones replaced others.

Any broadcast code chip will work in any truck, no need to get special ones. Throw BPAA into an L56 truck and it just wont have EGR function anymore, little more fuel and more timing advance. The only place you get into real issues are the pump type and tranny type. Otherwise interchangeable. Although some have some known potential issue identified in TSBs.

OBD-I Broadcast Code database is now online. I scraped information from a few sources, and combined it all into one database. I think its complete, and it might even be accurate. This is a list of every broadcast code (chip code, like BPAA) used for OBD-I 6.5s. Includes turbo and naturally aspirated. Even auto-links a download of a stock bin image, if one exists in the repository. Click on the column headers to sort, click on the broadcast code for more complete information.

http://www.diesel.dripspeed.com/bcc.php

Just one more thing Dripspeed Diesel has added to this world =).

The one piece of information I wasn't able to suck up for each and every BCC, is which injection pump it is for. That would be quite handy!

HYPERTECH used to have a nice break down in there catalog, but it is no longer available for download. I'll copy and post up a caopy of teh GM TSB regarding which EPROM went to what, and what EPROM superceded which here shortly.

This is a breakdown of all autos for 94-95 that I found on my ALLDATA. I couldn't find any breakdowns for manuals.

57452289.jpg57452290.jpg57452291.jpg57452292.jpg57452293.jpg

A newer $FD.xdf has been posted to the Dripspeed Diesel website, courtesy of rainstate. It is also reflected in the dripspeed.com/6.5 directory of files.

Thanks rainstate!

As soon as we get slims sorted out, I'll get the modified stick file out to you to upload. His truck is a bit different than a stocker, but we'll try and get a good ATT stick tune to help spool it up better.

As soon as we get slims sorted out, I'll get the modified stick file out to you to upload. His truck is a bit different than a stocker, but we'll try and get a good ATT stick tune to help spool it up better.

you did a great job on the custom tune for my Dmax...I think the 6.5 guys running ATT's will be glad to get your tunes burned...either by someone else or a DIY sort of thing...I'm sure they are going to be shocked at what they were missing/lacking...

you did a great job on the custom tune for my Dmax...I think the 6.5 guys running ATT's will be glad to get your tunes burned...either by someone else or a DIY sort of thing...I'm sure they are going to be shocked at what they were missing/lacking...

I try. I find it fun so long as people don't want it on a deadline. Some tunes take me an hour, but others take me a few weeks to get sorted out(like yours where EVERY table had to be remapped for all 5 tunes). I see alot of potential here over a stock tune to help light off a bigger charger. The tuning is a bit crude compared to the OBD2 DURAMAX, but has alot of potential.

Back