• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

did you do a comparison between 2 files? if you did they need to be the same type of file to get the differences, A stock file compared to a mod file, or comparing the different addressess?

The firmware is mapped to about 92mm3 but capped at 80mm3 I believe. There's room to rewrite and get more fuel out, to maybe 110 or 120 mm3. Just need time to figure it out.

There is a little more stuff to be put in the files, just need more time and energy. I'll post another XDF that is for an updated bin that's not compatible ( alot of differences ) with the original XDF's. I need to finish it for others to use. ( I only put in it what I wanted )

Yes, I compared 2 tune files of the same type and was getting lines that were different. What is wierd is one of teh comparisons was of a tune file that thedrip made to the stock file he used and it is coming up with sections changed that aren't mapped. ANd one of teh files I made did the same thing. It looks like some files we can change are changing other files we can't see(right now). The extra fueling would be pretty important to get to(at least up to about 95mm3 of fuel).

With the diesel prices lately, I'd love to purchase an economy chip for my 1994... But are you guys finding modest improvements in the economy state of tuning these OBD1 chips? I also pull a trailer for camping at times and I would like a chip that gives the much needed highway power without sacrificing fuel economy too much. Yes we 6.5ers are frugal, I personally don't see the point in spending $350 on a chip for my 18 year old truck unless the chips fuel economy pays for that modification within a year.

I also have far too many projects on the go to try to learn how to mod my truck, burn chips and such. I'd like to keep it easy when moding my truck, plug and play....So I'd like to buy a good inexpensive chip or two... Anyone interested?

Milage gains can be had by lowering boost at cruise portions, and raising the timing a few degrees. You can always improve the tuning for a specific use, it is just a matter of how much improvement you can get out of it.

If you would post or pm me the files, or tell me what sections I'll take alook and see what it references to in my spare time. It would be faster adding to the Original XDF than building new ones. It's alot of work..

If you would post or pm me the files, or tell me what sections I'll take alook and see what it references to in my spare time. It would be faster adding to the Original XDF than building new ones. It's alot of work..

4004, 4005, 4006, and 4007 are 4 that seem to come up quite a bit. It would probably help if I had a 6.5 OBD1 truck here still to play with to help understand this stuff. I'm pretty good on the tuning side of things as I've done quite a few DMAX's that people are very happy with, but this whole write your own code is another story.

that's an easy answer. Those are $4004, $4005= platform Id, $4006, $4007= checksum. They change whenever you make a change to the program.

that's an easy answer. Those are $4004, $4005= platform Id, $4006, $4007= checksum. They change whenever you make a change to the program.

OK, that makes sense. I just kept seeing em pop up in blue and didn't know what they were.

Here's a little tip for those of you that want to learn to tune yourself. First question your gonna ask is, which file is for my truck. Well here goes... grab all the posted XDFs and download them, put in Bin definition folder in tuner pro. open tuner pro and your bin file, pick an XDF, start with EC, it's fairly common. In the parameter tree click FLAGS. Highlight DTC 13, the address of that parameter will show at the bottom of the screen next to DA:NOT CONNECTED. It will say Flag, offset: 5718, Mask: 80. Now open the Hex editor, and scroll down till you get to 5710 on the left sided of the editor. Count over 9 places and you should see this code....FF DD 9C 73 EF 9F 08 50 8B FE in a row of sorts. This is the engine_enable_flags ( DTC section ), It is the same for all 6.5 diesel bins, All the ones I've seen anyways. If you don't see this code , than open another XDF and repeat with the address shown for DTC 13 till you find the right one. And tune away. If you still can't find it, than your bin is like mine and you'll have to wait till I finish it ( sorry )
If your bin is other than the EC and FD, please post and I will make any corrections as soon as possible.

Hope this helps

I have a quick question, what size should the .bin file be? The one slim sent me is only 32KB whereas the others all seem to be 64KB. I made a few changes for him, but he is having problems with it not working when he plugs it in. He veryfied the chip to make sure it took the file, but I think the problem is that I modified an incomplete file for him to burn.

The bin I have for him is correct at 32KB, smaller file because he has standard tranny. Bins with automatic trannys are 64KB.
Does the Glow plug light cycle like should? If not there usually is problem with the burn, or the checksum is wrong. tuner Pro has a checksum calculator in, that usually is automatic, but the checksum can be set at $85 AND Tuner Pro be told to ( IGNORE CHECKSUM ), which I realized isn't set for FD xdf. Did you modify with in the parameters of the XDF? If you did that shouldn't be the problem. I'll try and get the disassembly finished for all tables and scalars ( the hack ) this weekend

The bin I have for him is correct at 32KB, smaller file because he has standard tranny. Bins with automatic trannys are 64KB.
Does the Glow plug light cycle like should? If not there usually is problem with the burn, or the checksum is wrong. tuner Pro has a checksum calculator in, that usually is automatic, but the checksum can be set at $85 AND Tuner Pro be told to ( IGNORE CHECKSUM ), which I realized isn't set for FD xdf.

His file shows all of the auto trans tables in it with the correct values for them when I load it. When I looked in the HEX editor, his file cuts off just before the 8000 block whereas the other files keep going(even one of teh manual trans files he sent me keeps going past). I just did a compare of the stock file to the modded one, and it doesn't show a checksum change in it like the other files did when I did them. Not sure how to do the checksum change in it. He did say when he puts the chip in nothing happens, can't even get data from it.

that sounds like the checksum problem. Some tranny files will be in there because they deal with the baro being set to high altitude and some other stuff, but I can't comment to much on that cause I haven't hacked the file that far yet. That's still alot of work, given time though i will.

Try burning it again and see.

Here's a little tip for those of you that want to learn to tune yourself. First question your gonna ask is, which file is for my truck. Well here goes... grab all the posted XDFs and download them, put in Bin definition folder in tuner pro. open tuner pro and your bin file, pick an XDF, start with EC, it's fairly common. In the parameter tree click FLAGS. Highlight DTC 13, the address of that parameter will show at the bottom of the screen next to DA:NOT CONNECTED. It will say Flag, offset: 5718, Mask: 80. Now open the Hex editor, and scroll down till you get to 5710 on the left sided of the editor. Count over 9 places and you should see this code....FF DD 9C 73 EF 9F 08 50 8B FE in a row of sorts. This is the engine_enable_flags ( DTC section ), It is the same for all 6.5 diesel bins, All the ones I've seen anyways. If you don't see this code , than open another XDF and repeat with the address shown for DTC 13 till you find the right one. And tune away. If you still can't find it, than your bin is like mine and you'll have to wait till I finish it ( sorry )
If your bin is other than the EC and FD, please post and I will make any corrections as soon as possible.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips. I was starting to be overwhelmed.

I just opened it with the other $EC .xdf, and resaved it and it changed the checksum in it that way. I'm going to send it to him to try it now with the checksum changed using teh other .xdf file.

I believe ECB xdf has Ignore Checksum written in to it...under scalars. It does, just checked. I personnaly have had that problem once, reburned the chip and it worked ok than, I think the checksum didn't update fast enough before I burned the chip.

Man, you guys are WAY beyond this old fart's pay grade with this OBD-I code assembly/disassembly tuning stuff! All I want to know when you all are done playing Dr. Frankenstein with our OBD-I brains, is if any of you have come up with a really good economy tune for my '94 C&C C2500 with a 3.42 rear and 4L80E running a GM4 turbo and could somebody PLEASE remove the 82 MPH speed limiter that evidently was part of the chip's stock programming for Cab and Chassis commercial platforms, as I was getting tired of not being able to run with the traffic flow out on the interstate!

Back