hello all. I am a new member currently restoring an 82 k 30. The engine I am building is a nos crate 82 red block ll4 engine. I am seriously digging this thread as I am also not much of a fan of the dsg girdle kit and would like to do something simular to what turbonator has built. My question is, how much torque needs to be turned on the inner 12 mm main studs. As the dsg kit says to torque to 80 ft lbs for the outer studs. Also, any ideas as to how im going to get this crate engine unsiezed as it has sat in a buddys garage since new. Unfortunately, my friend passed away last fall so he left me this engine and 2 complete parts engines as well as his 4.3l olds v6 diesel
Take and put whatever brand of Liquid unsiezing you like and pull the glow plugs out add a fair amount of it and let it sit awhile. If it won't come loose like that take the heads off and make a round wooden block the same size as the piston and start tapping on the pistons. It won't take long before you know which pistons are not trying to move. Patience is the key to minimize damage.
On the stud torque- I believe the different suppliers are taking best guess on them. I don’t think any of them ever intended damage, but some folks have suffered damage.
On another thread I started going over the torque question and issue. I planned on bringing it back up. I am going to do clamp load testing to compare levels of torque because the studs are capable of enough force to destroy the block just as easily as it can help it.
Depending how long you can wait, I am gathering tools and parts now for the testing. BY the sounds of it -the condition of your engine means you’ll be a bit.
incase you are not familiar with 6.2/6.5- read a TON from this forum especially the stickies. This engine is not like building most other engines. I suggest you start a thread specific to your build so we can answer questions as needed and you have all your info in one area.
Anybody save their ARP main stud instruction sheet? Trying to get the block to the machinist today... I got my latest installment if Leroydiesel.com parts this week. This one was ops extension hose, head studs and main studs. But as luck would have it, mainstuds sheet is mia. I called Leroy...
Thankfully Ive had 15 yrs experience with these old buggers. Thanks for the replys folks. much appreciated. Ive had the engine soaking in mmo and diesel for close to a month. was going to put glow plugs in it to heat the solution up in the hopes it will get past the pistons
I wish I had a way to take pics of this old beast to show u guys. but havent had a camera in years. as for how bad the engine was stuck. Pretty tight man. Pretty tight. I put the flywheel on and rocked the crank back and forth against the ring gear for close to an hour befor I saw any movement from the crank. but she turns over great now. number 4 and number 6 were the frozen cylinders as each had a valve open. From what my friend told me about this engine before he died is that it ran for about its first 100 kms then bam. Head gasket failed. his buddy removed it and put a gasser in. so this engine had an issue right from new. NOT WHEN IM DONE BUILDING IT THO lol
I too have not had an actual camera for years. I use the cell phone to get the pics then, I send them to My email from the phone to get them posted into the forum.
if I`m on the road and dont have the computer along, I will then load the pic into a reply from the phone.
I just think its easier to sve a pic to the desktop then post them into a forum from there.
valid point. I simply cannot wait to get this old beast going as the truck i have has sat for 10 years waiting for an engine lol. and the cheap factor of running wvo is an added bonus. Il have to get a new Phone to take some pics of this thing once I get her apart