• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Difference between a cat and a soot trap...

People call them that sometimes incorrectly. So do some suppliers.
A cat actually has rare metals that when heated are a catalyst for altering certain chemicals in a he emissions gasses.
A soot trap is just that- think airfilter except that this collects and stores a grade of carbon and doesn’t let all of it pass through instead of dust.

A cat is very expensive and a soot trap is slightly more than a muffler.

People call them that sometimes incorrectly. So do some suppliers.
A cat actually has rare metals that when heated are a catalyst for altering certain chemicals in a he emissions gasses.
A soot trap is just that- think airfilter except that this collects and stores a grade of carbon and doesn’t let all of it pass through instead of dust.

A cat is very expensive and a soot trap is slightly more than a muffler.
Interesting, I can't find listings for exhaust soot traps...

You have to keep in mind with diesels there is the old style diesel cats that weren't much more than soot traps that held the big soot particles until they broke down, and now they have reactive catylists that have precious metals in them that work in conjunction with the DPF and urea injection systems.

You have to keep in mind with diesels there is the old style diesel cats that weren't much more than soot traps that held the big soot particles until they broke down, and now they have reactive catylists that have precious metals in them that work in conjunction with the DPF and urea injection systems.
Thanks FERM, I have a better handle on the tech now, I see for diesel ceramic core types and the precious metals versions along with the big price swing Will L. mentions.

I think running a water injection system will help remove the soot from the entire exhaust, you wouldn't need to use it all the time if ya didn't want to, just activate it every week or so maybe, I know on my last build I used water injection and my tail pipe stayed soot free...

Run wmi, instead of soot staying in the engine, is all builds up in the cat or soot trap.
To avoid plugging it, a person could do a temp bypass when they plan to blow it all out. but that would of course put more carbon in the air and kill more purple featherless owls or something.

A cat is what you tie to a pole and shove down a chimney to remove the soot. A soot trap is the chamber at the bottom of the chimney that catches all the soot released by shoving the cat down the chimney!

Back