• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Difference between a 3500 and a 3500HD...

Does anyone know if the gvwr could be increased? Like with an upfit to a dump truck (which is what mine is) or something like that? I bought one and the door sticker is gone. The title says 18,000 weight. I know you can title one for whatever, but that doesn’t magically make it legal if the door sticker is still 15,000 gvwr.

The short answer to that question is probably not.

Any GVWR changes would have to be by a qualified manufacture, if they actually do that, doubt it unless its some kind of conversion coach type vehicle.

Not sure what state that you are in, but I did run across some interesting information from the state of Virginia that allows changes, not sure if that info is still valid. Check with your state, who knows they might allow the changes?

vlic4520.pdf (virginia.gov)

I really and truly think that your out of luck on legally increasing the GVWR per door sticker. Yelp you can add heavier springs and other items, but its still considered to be rated the same as what the original sticker said.

I assume your wanting to change the rating so that you can legally haul more weight and not exceed the GVWR? I'd say your going be stuck with the original factory rating on that truck. If your wanting to haul more, then you would have to buy a higher rated truck. Just have to weigh your options out as they say, no pun intended. Sometimes trying to haul an extra ton or so is just not worth it in the long run, due to cost and equipment wear.

Iused to do it many, many moons back. Go to a fully licensed truck equipment outfitter and bring a really thick checkbook.
IF the truck is less than 2 years old- they can do it for what it is really capable of somewhat affordably.

If you have a 10 year old truck and think someone is going to put their name on the legal hook for you- nope. I had one guy that had a 7 year old truck that he had to reuse a specialized bed that had over $100,000 invested. It took me exactly 15 minutes to give him the bid. It involved me buying a brand new truck and remounting his bed to it... when he called me up I repeated what I told him before he demanded the quote “I am liable for 100 million dollars in damages if I certify the truck and it fails.” So an $80,000 bid is the lowest I can go. He was SO MAD you’d think I slapped his mom. 3 months later after trying all over the country he scheduled meeting with me at a dealership...

This was all before the year 2000 mind you. Maybe the laws have gotten more relaxed...

Sorry bud, not what you want to hear, just what you need to hear.

Buying an up fitted truck without the sticker AND data sheet is like buying a classic car without a title. You could technically do everything it is intended for- just not legally.

As a side note, I'm not sure what your trying to do with the truck, but since your worried about sticker weight, I assume your planning hauling work...I've got a 97'c3500 that Ive done alot of hot shot hauling with, which is no different than what 18-- wheelers do just with smaller trucks (usually duallys ) and usually gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers.... We have to hit the scales just like a semi everytime the sign says open. And yes they inspect or equipment same as a big truck....trust me when I tell you they check good..and they know what you can and can't legally haul...if you have your truck set up different there gonna keep you there for hours going over the truck. It's really not worth the headache s...and in that case you lost so much money by sitting for hours that Its easier to just buy a bigger truck or haul smaller stuff...I didn't catch what you plan to do with the truck but out alot of thought in to long term cost before you go modifying it..

Back