• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Difference between a 3500 and a 3500HD...

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
Information seems limited on the internet as to the difference between a non-HD and an HD on the 2001 and below trucks. Rumors from "a person here" and "a person there" talk about the frames being thicker and beefier, with other things such as larger brakes.

I was hoping to turn this thread into taking all of these "rumors" and making them into hard facts as to what really separates a non-HD truck and an HD.

So based on what you have "heard", or even better as to what you know, what separates the HD's from the Non-HD's?

From what I know: 8 bolt diffs vs 10 bolt, heavier frames, 10,000 gvw vs 15,000 gvw., I am sure the breaks would also be alot beefier.

I didn't read that pdf...but I do know that in the 2500 you can get the auto 4x4 option....you can not in the 2500HD
They are talking about the old style 3500's.
Most of the 3500HD's I have seen have had 19.5" wheels. Also there is a spacer under the grill because the whole body sits a couple inches higher. Probably due to the larger frame. Our township used to have one so I saw it a lot but they switched to a superduty a few years ago.

This should cover it...

"In 1991, GM introduced (under the Chevrolet and GMC nameplates) a truck that bridged the gap between pickups and medium duty trucks, the C3500HD. The C3500HD was a 15,000 pound GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) truck that was later replaced with the 4500 series. The C3500HD was only offered as a commercial chassis cab. The C3500HD came with regular cab as the only cab option until 1996, when the crew cab was also offered, it is not clear if the crew cab could only be ordered for fleets only, or if all consumers could order it as well. The extended cab was never offered on the C3500HD. All cabs came standard with upper marker/clearance lights. All but the most deluxe cab options were offered in the C3500HD, as well as all paint colors.

GM never offered the C3500HD in four wheel drive off of the assembly line, however several aftermarket conversion companies offered them in a 4x4 version with either a Dana 60 or Dana 70 front axle. At least one company, Monroe Truck, was offered as a ship-through 4WD upfit using the RPO code VCB.

Engine offerings for the C3500HD included the 5.7L (until 1995, when it was dropped for the 96 model year) the 7.4L, and the 6.5L turbo diesel (the 6.2L diesel was never offered for the C3500HD, no diesel was offered for 1991, 1992 brought the 6.5L turbo diesel. The L65 code 6.5L turbo diesel was the only diesel offered in this truck). Transmission offerings were the 4L80E 4spd OD automatic, and the NV4500 5spd OD manual, these were the only two transmissions ever offered for the C3500HD. The common drive axle used on the C3500HD was the Dana 80, an 85.8" wide full floating axle with an 11 inch ring gear. There have also been reports of Corporate 14 Bolt (a full floating axle with 10.5 inch ring gear) axles with upgraded axle tubes and hubs being installed. The front axle was a solid I-beam drop axle, similar to the axles of medium and heavy duty trucks. The GVWR of these trucks was 15,000 pounds. Both axles were suspended by leaf springs, and both axles had disc brakes. The wheelbases available were: 135.5", 159.5", and 183.5". The frames on these trucks were similar in design to the C3500 cab and chassis, but were heavily upgraded. The C3500HD, as well as the C3500 Cab and Chassis, featured rear frame rails spaced at 34", the industry standard for easy upfit of bodies."

http://3500hd.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6.0;attach=61;image

http://3500hd.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6.0;attach=63;image

Interesting info there. Now does anybody know as to the trucks prior to 1991 if there where any strength and durability difference between the Cab and chassis trucks as compared to a standard pickup? (IE beefier parts), or was there no such thing at the time.

Louis I think you pretty much summed it up right there for us pretty damn well

Interesting info there. Now does anybody know as to the trucks prior to 1991 if there where any strength and durability difference between the Cab and chassis trucks as compared to a standard pickup? (IE beefier parts), or was there no such thing at the time.

Louis I think you pretty much summed it up right there for us pretty damn well

Are you asking about the square bodies (73-80 & 81-87)?

That's a pretty sweet article you got there.:D According to that page, GM used 39,000 psi tensile strength carbon steel for the frames, any idea if there was a difference in frame thickness on these trucks? Say an 87 Crew Cab long bed compared to an 87 regular cab & chassis with a dump body?

Yes, I've seen a table that included material thickness. I am looking for it. If I remember correctly all 3500s, regardless of config and all crew cabs (including 2500s) had the thickest frames.

I think Louis posted the Wikipedia listing. I contributed alot to it a while back, and i see it has been mauled since then.

the biggest thing to remember is the whole parking brake setup is different. on a 3500 on down, it has drum brakes on the rear, with a parking brake setup attached. The C3500HD had 4 wheel disc brakes, and a drum brake on the back of the transmission takes care of all parking brake duties.

It has technically only been offered from factory with regular cab only, and 2wd only. there were dealer installed kits available for making them 4wd, and Union pacific and possibly other large purchasers have gotten them as crewcabs.

The front axle is a solid I-beam axle similar to that of a medium or Heavy Duty truck, and it is leaf sprung. the only tire wheel package offered was the 225/70R19.5 on 19.5 inch rims.

As far as little things go, I have never seen black below eyeline mirrors on these. Only camper style or West Coast style. The HDs were famous for their exterior door handles that were the same as the Topkick/Kodiac trucks. As far as ride height goes, these are much higher than regular trucks, basically a type of OEM body lift. That is the reasoning for the grille filler strip. as far as 6.5Ls go,they had the same size radiator as the smaller 6.5Ls, but with the filler strip, did not require the cut-out bumper. no 6.5L from the factory has came with the nostril bumper.

As far as frames go, these were only offered in the parallel 34" spacing rail configuration. unlike the regular 3500, the HDs were available with the super long 183.5" wheelbase.

I saw a mid 90s 3500HD yesterday for the first time in a salvage yard and the frame is massive! My buddy said damn! that frame says BEEF!!!.

This one was really long and the whole middle of the frame was doubled up, with the smaller section front extending into the rear section all the way to the rear axle and a splice plate in the middle.

Does anyone know if the gvwr could be increased? Like with an upfit to a dump truck (which is what mine is) or something like that? I bought one and the door sticker is gone. The title says 18,000 weight. I know you can title one for whatever, but that doesn’t magically make it legal if the door sticker is still 15,000 gvwr.

That I know of no not really...register it for what you want but get in a accident with it over the gvr and you screwed...had a scale master tell me that..and @Will L. Could tell you more...or @WarWagon ...I remember we had a similar discussion a few months back.

Back