• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel Kleen? ATF? Stanadyne? Donkey Pi$$?

Drago

Reaction score
I live in the piedmont of Virginia, we just don't get too many sub freezing days but we do get them. I'm looking for a cost effective fuel additive for my area, one day it will be 30 F and two days later it will be in the upper 60's. I talked to the VDOT mechanic that use to take care of my truck and their routine was a can of Diesel Kleen injector cleaner every oil change. just want your opinion on the matter. At present it is 74F this November 12. NO, that is not an invitation for you Yankees to move here.

NO, that is not an invitation for you Yankees to move here.

Hey! My grandfather wasn't even born until 30 years after the Civil war fer cripes sake!... Besides, I'm thinking your ancesters mighta' had the right idea all along... ;)

X2 for donkey pi$$...

:hihi:

Just 2 stroke in my beasts. Maybe some power service (I keep a jug of it on hand) I threw in Anti gel last weekend since it went from 85 during the days to 20 at night and 50 for the high, didn't trust the local fuel supply.

I use Stanadyne Fuel treatment in every tank... and on the RARE occasions it's below 10F I don't drive... or I put a bottle of white power service in there.
Diesel Kleen is more to keep the tank and lines from developing black death no?

I use Stanadyne Fuel treatment every few tanks in the summer and every tank in the winter.

... Not sure if it does much, but it cannot hurt.

Diesel Kleen IS Power Service. Silver bottle for warm weather use and white bottle in weather that requires anti-gel additive. I use one or the other every other tankful until it gets to about 25* or lower then it's evey tank at 8 oz to 20 gal. I run B5 to B20 year around so no 2 stroke is needed.

I don't use additives often except when I will be going into conditions where temps can dip below 40. Then I will use POWER SERVICE white bottle to prevent gelling, otherwise when i do use additives I will use POWER SERVICE grey or 2 stroke oil. The 2 stroke oil really helps quieten the engine, and I know it counters the problems of low lubricity from ULSD.

I live in the piedmont of Virginia, we just don't get too many sub freezing days but we do get them. I'm looking for a cost effective fuel additive for my area, one day it will be 30 F and two days later it will be in the upper 60's. I talked to the VDOT mechanic that use to take care of my truck and their routine was a can of Diesel Kleen injector cleaner every oil change. just want your opinion on the matter. At present it is 74F this November 12. NO, that is not an invitation for you Yankees to move here.

PS Grey is what I run in every fill up, with a healthy glow system you should not need to run an additive, but considering what is being sold as "green fuel" these days additives especially on older Diesels that came into being before <15ppm sulfur fuels were around I personally think some sort of additive needs to be added to the mix.

Typically Diesel fuel does not "wax" until getting <60F and the total flow stoppage much less, when I'm at my camp in central Alabama often I have days on end in 20s and the residual heat in block/fuel tank and extended glow are all that are needed, if going to be in the teens I'll get up in middle of night and let truck fast idle for about 15 minutes or so. There is a check valve in the fuel pickup "sock" for the 6.5 that opens should the 70 micron sock screen become plugged from gelled fuel, then the heater element in the fuel manager will warm up fuel so the screen in the IP does not become gel plugged

And as far as moving to VA forget it, I was born in VA Portsmouth Naval Hospital, and once was proud to claim that heritage, I'm a collateral descendant of "The Lee's of VA" stemming from John Abbott Independence Lee's side of that proud Virginian family of note on my Mom's side Craig County VA, of whom I'm sure have turned in their graves the way VA voted this past election, nope I'll not be returning to the Commonwealth State other than to visit family that still lives there. Love the "Blue Ridge" and even Tidewater but VA is not what it used to be, too many libs & moderates controlling things there for my taste anymore, which is a shame that they done "ruined it".

And as far as moving to VA forget it, I was born in VA Portsmouth Naval Hospital, and once was proud to claim that heritage, I'm a collateral descendant of "The Lee's of VA" stemming from John Abbott Independence Lee's side of that proud Virginian family of note on my Mom's side Craig County VA, of whom I'm sure have turned in their graves the way VA voted this past election, nope I'll not be returning to the Commonwealth State other than to visit family that still lives there. Love the "Blue Ridge" and even Tidewater but VA is not what it used to be, too many libs & moderates controlling things there for my taste anymore, which is a shame that they done "ruined it".

THIS! Unbelievable! I was shocked and saddened. I know OT, but still had to Amen on Tim's thoughts. :)

Off Topic, that is the very reason the Commonwealth went BHO. Too many internal migrants moved here to take advantage of the lower cost of living, work, and affordable housing and rents. Unfortunately they want it just like the place they left which is the very reason they moved out of NY, NJ, PA in the first place. IMHO the worst thing that happened to the South after the War of Northern Aggression was the invention of Air Conditioning. The heat and disease kept their numbers in check. (tongue firmly in cheek)

The silver bottle (Diesel Kleen) is good to temps about 30*. It has no antigel, but does boost cetane by 6. The white bottle (Diesel Fuel Supplement) has antigel and is good for temps down to -40*, and boosts cetane by 4.
Stanadyne (Performance Formula) does contain antigel, and is also good down to -40* and boosts cetane by 5. Stanadyne calls it year round protection and it also contains some lubricant.

Make sure you run a biocide a few times a year esp. if you are running the water absorbing bio diesel mixes. Low dose needed of the biocide is almost free to run. Up to 5% bio is not even labeled on pumps so you don't know if you are already running some! None of the above listed are a biocide.

Power Service Bio-Klean and Lucas fuel sterilizer to name a couple.

Make sure you run a biocide a few times a year esp. if you are running the water absorbing bio diesel mixes. Low dose needed of the biocide is almost free to run. Up to 5% bio is not even labeled on pumps so you don't know if you are already running some! None of the above listed are a biocide.

Power Service Bio-Klean and Lucas fuel sterilizer to name a couple.
Never done that but I think us guys that see minus-zero temps a few times a year have Mother Nature's biocide built in...

Back