• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Did A Quick Brake Fluid Change

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
...and WOW, what a Difference.

I got a new "apparatus" to change the Fluid. It's a little Gun looking thing with a Rezzie Bottle on it. Pop the Cap off the Rezzie Under the Hood, Suck Out the Old Fluid with the Gun, Top it off with Fresh, then start going to all the Calipers with the Gun, Clip it to the Bleeder, Crack the Bleeder and Pump the Trigger on the Gun and it Suck Out the Old Fluid while bringing the New / Fresh Fluid through the Lines from the Rezzie Under the Hood.

Less than an Hour to Change / Bleed the whole System.

Did it on my Duramax, Fluid was pretty Dirty, Brake Pedal and Stopping is WAY better now. Now I can actually Enjoy my SSBC Calipers I got up Front.

Did it on the Cummins and it was DIRTY...like Coffee Black & Dirty.

Here's the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00265M9SS/?tag=jhuntlink-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Always a good feeling. If my G8 didn't have such a good pedal, I'd bleed it just because it's 4 year old fluid. I have a similar tool, but mine's much more of a knock-off POS than what you have, lol. I've considered getting the Motive Products Power Bleeder too. That's another slick one. The really expensive one is made by Phoenix Products, and bleeds in reverse, using the theory that air wants to go to the highest point (M/C), so it pushes fluid IN at the caliper. It's also great for filling fresh systems, I'd imagine. You would have to keep emptying the master though, I'd imagine...

Duramax needs a good brake bleeding now that I think about it...

The other one Motive makes uses a Pressurized Tank with a Special Cap that goes on the Master Cylinder and Pushes Fluid from there, through the Lines and Out the Bleeders.

I may get that one inna few Months if this Gun Breaks from me using it so much. I'm gonna do all the Brakes on my Fam's Vehicles now that this thing makes it so easy.

But even so, for $30, this thing is awesome.

I have a similar bleed gun to yours. I have had it for many years. It works great! :thumbsup:

I also have one from harbor freight that you can hook up to your air compressor. It will suck the reserve tank dry in seconds.

Brake fluid is one of the most vital, yet overlooked fluids in ANY vehicle. I change mine out about every 3-4 years. I use a good DOT 4 fluid and just gravity bleed them. You have to remember brake fluid is an aqueous fluid, so it absorbs moisture through your brake lines, seals in the calipers, and even through the master cylinder reservoir. And moisture is a killer as it lowers your boiling point and reduces the fluids ability to not compress.

I sold about 100 of those on the tool truck and never a complaint. I own one also. Being able to test vacuum leaks and fuel leaks with it is also a huge time saver. Good price @$30.

No, I just Refilled with DOT 3 from Napa.

Didn't know if DOT 4 was Compatible.

I just did this outta nowhere, because like Ferm said, it's prob. one of the most Overlooked Fluids on a Vehicle, and I agree.

I'll put in the "Good Stuff" next time I do a Flush.

Didn't know if DOT 4 was Compatible.

I just found this out last month when my motorcycle clutch leaked, and I had to replace the fluid: DOT 4 has a higher breakdown temperature than DOT 3. That's all the rating means. You can put DOT 4 fluid in a system designed for DOT 3 with no ill effects.

DOT 5 is the one to avoid. That's silicone fluid. I have no idea what it's intended for, but automotive braking systems are not it. 5.1 is fine, though.

I REALLY should do this.. REALLY SHOULD. Wonder if I'll be able to crack the bleeders...

Yes, do not switch to dot 5. It requi

What a time for a battery to die, in the middle of typing.
Do not switch to dot 5. It requires different rubber brake lines as well as different O-rings in the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers.

I REALLY should do this.. REALLY SHOULD. Wonder if I'll be able to crack the bleeders...

Same here Mike! :D I'd also like to upgrade to the SS braided brake lines at the same time.

Seems DOT 4 is alot more expensive just for a Higher Temp Rating. Is it really worth it?

I think so. It is like upgrading to fully synthetic oil inside the motor. ;) It may even stay cleaner while inside the lines.

I got Braided Lines on my Workbench, so when I put those in, I'll do the DOT 4, since I'll be doing more than just a Flush.

Back