• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Custom 6.2l build - new guy here

Made good progress today. :)

Got the crossover boxed. My buddy had some problems with his welder. After pluggin it in (220) with his big extension cord, it had some issues. He went and got his service truck with huge genset. Still had issues and then we found out it it was the cord. Pulled the truck closer and plugged directly in, worked fine then. After a six pack or so we got er done. :thumbsup:

Installed the serp belt accessories. The vacuum pump did not fit with the a/c delete due to the banks turbo manifold. I will hook the a/c compressor up in the future, so I did not want to put the vacuum pump where that goes. I went back to the cam driven vacuum pump and got that installed. (the accessories took me awhile to get right).

Cleaned up and installed the passenger side battery tray and airbox.

Figured out placement of fuel pump and racor filter. The racor is figgern huge and I will need to make a spacer to fit it on firewall where the box filter used to go.

Installed starter.

Still left to do;

Hook up turbo oil drain to pan.

Get down-pipe and crossover ceramic coated then installed.

Hook up all wiring.

Hook up power steering pump connections.

Fueling system.

Purchase and install exhaust from down-pipe back.

Hook up vacuum system.

Install radiator, front clip, cooling and heater hoses, and hood.

GO FAST!

I am sure there is more, but it felt REAL good to work on my truck again. :D:cool:

Welders and compressors hate being on extension chords, it adds resistance and at the high current they draw makes a big voltage drop before the unit.

I am rooting for you, cannot wait to hear this thing run!

Yeah extension cords suck. This is a thick ass cord that he has used many times in the past. He works in the woods and sometimes fixing equipment where service truck cannot get to.

After looking closer at my core support mounts, I will run what I got as far as rubber, but need to get new hardware.

I want to hear this thing run as well!

OK, worked on it some more tonight. Have a few questions and took some pics.

Here is what we are working with

P1000469.jpg

This is the thermostat crossover. Anyone know what size fitting this thing needs?

P1000468.jpg

Do my acces look correct? What size serp belt do I need? Part Number?

P1000458.jpg

P1000457.jpg

Power steering pump hook ups. Not sure which hose goes where? I have one coming from steering box, and one coming from hydro-boost/brake master cylinder area.

P1000456.jpg

This is where I plan on putting the Racor, as said this thing is huge. Any issues?

P1000461.jpg

P1000459.jpg

Can I switch around the inlet and outlet on the Racor? I assume arrows are flow direction.

P1000462.jpg

Oh yeah, pic of down-pipe which fits. It is tight, but does not touch anywhere. It is going down to Redding this week to be ceramic coated along with cross-over.

P1000463.jpg

Racor - I assume I am OK as long as I follow the arrows (as far as flow) on it correct?

Sounds logical. You should be able to verify by putting your thumb on one end and using the priming bulb.

It should suck from one hole and push from another. I really like my racor.

I accidently added 'Pee' into the tank when I used an additive bottle to piss in. The glass bowl at the bottom caught it all :) anything thats heavier than diesel will never even see the element... rust, water, Pee.... :)

Serp Accessory setup look like it is supposed too? What size belt and part #?

Power steering pump has two fittings left, one on the side (on the left in my pic) and one lower down on the back. I have a hose from the steering gear box and a hose from the hydroboost. Which goes where?

Fitting size on thermostat crossover? Can I get this at my local Napa? It is the fitting that goes to the water pump directly below it.

thanks!

thread sealer on Racor fuel filter

I need to put fittings on my Racor fuel filter base. What type of thread sealer do I need to use?

CameraZOOM-20130402175023793.jpg

I also need to go from a 3/8" soft fuel line to 1/4" soft fuel line. Having problems finding the correct fitting. Any ideas?

Back