• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Current project, 64 VETTE

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Since i know all you guys like projects, I figured I would share my current project I'm turning out for my uncle. It's a 64 CORVETTE numbers matching 327 365HP lemans racing style. This is one of the origanal factory race VETTES that GM turned out back in the day. It's a stripped down base model with no power steering, no power brakes, manual windows, only factory installed option was heat. A few years back he had me build up to be a quote "BAD B!TCH" for the street, so it had forged domed pistons which had him to about 11.5:1 compression, a COMP 292 cam, screw in studs, roller rockers, ported 461 heads with 160/2.2 valves, 1 7/8" HOOKER side pipe headers, VICTOR JR intake, 750 double pumper race carb, and an MSD ignition. It was a conservative 500HP as it was a STRONG beast. He took the car and had it restored, and now he wants to street drive it with A/C, so I'm now detuning it a bit and making it pump gas friendly as finding 104 octane leaded fuel is tough enough without mentioning the cost. So in with a set of flat top pistons to drop the comporession ratio back to about 9.7:1, put a COMP 274 cam in it to get some manifold vacuum at an idle for the A/C, going with a set of 1 5/8" HEDMAN ELITE headers, and a basic HEI tach drive distributor. Going for about 325-350HP and streetable on pump gas.

Heres a few pics I have of the engine, I'll get some pics of teh car here in the next few days once I get the engine finished and uncover the car to drop it back in. There crappy cell phone pics, but it's what I got for now. More pics will follow.
The heads with screw in studs, guideplates, and the guides were just machined to install valve seals as the early 461 heads didn't use seals and she was a smoker out the right bank sucking oil through the nurled guides.
1002121822a_288644.jpeg
All back together.
1002121907a_267834.jpeg
Bottem end all buttoned up with the stock windage tray.
0928121821a_276407.jpeg
Flat top pistons installed, can't see it very well but they are polished out with a buffing pad and oil(helps keep them from carboning up, and reduces hot spots for detonation).
0928121823a_267041.jpeg
Camshaft degreeed in and buttoned up with a roller button and lock plate installed(cam button isn't needed for a flat tappet, btu I like extra insurance. Helps also with maintaining good solid cam timing by keeping teh cam from walking during decel).
0928121824a_321653.jpeg
Short block all finished up.
0929121626a_300155.jpeg
Here you can see the cooling passages around the plugs. The engine kept overheating at an idle, turns out these coolant passages were plugged. These heads had just been hot tanked to, and were still plugged. Had to drill them out to open em back up.
0929121644a_304423.jpeg

Cool! A vintage 327.. 4 inch bore and a 3.25 stroke = Screamer... Has the block been bored? Small journal?

I like it.. :thumbsup:

It's the origanal 327 small journal numbers matching block, heads, and intake. The 365HP had a unique intake, and the ever so rare stock 461 2.02/160 valves with the small 60CC combustion chambers. It was a unicorn in it's day. Got the longblock back together. Adjusted up the HARLAND SHARP roller rockers, and time for paint.
You can see where it used to be CHEVY blue which was a paint option for the engine up until 65 WHEN GM went to CHEVY orange, but the shop that restored it decided to do a half A$$ job and slapped some chevy orange laquer on it which is peeling off.
1003121526a_265007.jpeg

Very nice. The 327, many did not know its true potential. A high school buddy of mine had a 1967 Impala with the 327 under the hood. Some of the true stories I can tell of back in the day when we cruised the roads in that car.

Nice Ferm. I also have a Vette 327 engine with the matching Muncie 4 speed in my garage right now. It used to be in the car in my avatar. We used to drag it in the 60's. My father as a motorhead. We may put it in a glass body coupe kit car. The motor really is a screamer!

Last edited:
Cool! I would have recommended some Crane umbrella seals to help the guide leak though.

Cool! I would have recommended some Crane umbrella seals to help the guide leak though.

Umbrella seals were in it, they just don't work with nurled guides. Were trying to take this one back to where it looks stock on the outside, will work well with the A/C, be street driveable on pump gas, and just run decent all around. It was fun at the hP level it was at(0-100 took about 5 seconds or so which was only 2nd gear for this thing), but it just wasn't streetable at 11.5:1 and a big cam. I tried telling him when I built it up for him the last time I didn't think he would be happy with it, well it ended up scaring him.

Small journal.. Would have to start from zero..

It's been a long, long time, but didn't they used to take these blocks and transplant in a 283 crank and conn rods? That would give it a 3" stroke and a 4" bore, for an oversquare 302. IIRC, it only worked on the ones with with the 2" journal. Maybe somebody else remembers more of the details, that was a long time ago.

It's been a long, long time, but didn't they used to take these blocks and transplant in a 283 crank and conn rods? That would give it a 3" stroke and a 4" bore, for an oversquare 302. IIRC, it only worked on the ones with with the 2" journal. Maybe somebody else remembers more of the details, that was a long time ago.

My father had one of those too Jim. :D We don't have that one anymore though. Also experimented with a 350 block and a 283 crank for racing. They really performed well. ;)

The 302 was offered in 67-69 ONLY in the CAMARO Z-28 as an option. In 67 only it was a small journal 283 crank in a 327 block. In 68-69 it was a large journal 3" stroke crank, in teh 327/350 block(327 and 350 uses the same exact block as late 327's had 350 casting numbers on the block). There is also a few 350's that were built in 67 with small journal crankshafts, but they are SUPER rare and GM only made a few before they realized it wouldn't work with the increased piston speed and the rod bearings of the day. This kind of stuff is how I used to make my money, and business before the housing bubble popped was GOOD. Really miss teh days of driving a different vette or some other form of muscle car every week and making money hand over fist travelling and doing it.

Yep any time you get the rod and main 'pins' or 'circles' where they don't overlap by much, you run into crank problems as well.

I really enjoy engine work like that and still get to do it every now and then, but as for reasons you stated, not as regular as years past. It doesn't help that the machine shop I frequented is now closed up. Chuck was 72 and wanted to retire, put the place up for sale lock stock and barrel, and NOBODY bought it. Subsequently everything was auctioned off.. The timing wasn't right or I'd be there right now..

Still making progress on this one. Got his evap mounted into the car and made brackets to mount it in(whoever put the kit in before did a piss poor job to say the least). Got the engine dropped in, starter put on it, headers bolted up, and got some brackets detailed and mounted as well. Maybe by Wednesday I will be far enough along with it to fire it up, but I have another car in the shop now for some work, and quite a bit of wiring to do on this vette to clean up the last guys work.

Question: How long after a build can a long block stay stored?
I had my 427 rebuilt around 2002 and has been in storage since. So little time and then life getting in the way...
Anyways, I still have the '69 vette it came out of and am now wondering if I have to tear it apart just because it sat for so long.

Back