• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins conversion begins

Its holding up well. the cummins is dependable and strong running lots of power to haul anything. i worked out the clutch hydrolic bugs. the only complaint i have is the nv4500 i toasted 3rd gear syncro. when i get the time id like to swap a medium duty 5 speed in. i work the truck every day it earns it keep, it has some rust i need to adress and i have to decide if i want to patch the crack in the frame or find a donor truck. i cracked the frame hauling a large tractor. after winter there may just be another swap into a long bed or dually. its proving difficult to find a truck perfect for my re swap

Don't buy a truck from the rust belt east coast if you want a swap that will last. Head west to the interior and pic up a rust free truck.

It sounds like more money, but it's actually less in the long run.

My 98 comes from a relatively rust free area of BC. You can still pit a wrench on the shock bolts and turn them out with ease. No smoke wrench required.

I'll never buy another rust bucket again....

ive been contemplating doing this with my yukon when i get the money, what all did you have to do to get the speedometer to work? I know the p-pumped cummins only needs a few wires to run. are you running the intake grid heater? if so, how did you wire it in? Would you suggest doing a bodylift while doing the swap? sorry for all the questions, just trying to get everything planned out before diving in.

More pictures!.
I did basicaly the same exact swap on my old 96 1 ton. I had to modify the oil pan to clear the diff. I had to lower the diff 1 1/2" also. Im like you and did not want a lift kit. So what did you do for oil pan clearence?

Also, in case your interested I'm starting my Isuzu 4BD2T conversion very soon. Its very simular to a Cummins 4BT. Isuzu has a 6BD series engine also, they are bruts of a motor.

i had no trouble with oil pan clerance it fit right in. and a update the frame completely broke and the turbo took a crap. i had to sell it and now it starts all over. man i sure do miss my diesel. but i have a 93 6.5 2500 to start with

John, if you want to email a few pictures of the highlights (10 at most) of your build I'll post them up for you. I do leave for a month on Friday so today or tomorrow is best for me. Otherwise maybe another member could do it?

i no longer have them it was awhile ago when i posted them and my camera card wont read. i really wish i had them there was some good videos on there. sorry guys. ill try to answer questions, and hopefully if everything goes good ill be starting another cummins conversion next summer

Back