• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft position sensor wiring harness

IronButterfly72

Reaction score
I have a 1997 GMC Sierra that I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor on. But upon replacement I noticed that there is another connector on the wiring harness. I need to know where does that go? It's a 4.3L engine.

Hello IB72, welcome to the forum.
Could You snap a pic of that connector plug so We can see what it looks like ? Maybe then it can be determined what it might be to.

Could You snap a pic of that connector plug so We can see what it looks like ? Maybe then it can be determined what it might be to.
IMG_20200810_145351716.jpg

As you can see it's part of the Crank shaft sensor wire harness and I dont see where to plug it in at. Yes I'm a girl. But I've been fixing the truck myself because I got tired of paying folks that get paid and dont finish. I have put a lot of parts on this vehicle and I know she will run like a champ when I am through. I just am finding new things all the time which is to be expected because she's a classic. I was having trouble with it starting it will turn over but not start. So I did some research And my reader said crank shaft sensor. So this is what I found after replacing the sensor was a wire just hanging off the harness. Need to know where it plugs in at cause I can't find a spot. Thanks in advance for all your help

As you can see it's part of the Crank shaft sensor wire harness and I dont see where to plug it in at. Yes I'm a girl. But I've been fixing the truck myself because I got tired of paying folks that get paid and dont finish. I have put a lot of parts on this vehicle and I know she will run like a champ when I am through. I just am finding new things all the time which is to be expected because she's a classic. I was having trouble with it starting it will turn over but not start. So I did some research And my reader said crank shaft sensor. So this is what I found after replacing the sensor was a wire just hanging off the harness. Need to know where it plugs in at cause I can't find a spot. Thanks in advance for all your help
PS That's a pic of the the crankshaft and the other plug.

Need to find the actual sensor. Wires may be missing from the sensor to the plug
I replaced the Crank shaft sensor but on the wiring harness there's this other plug that's connected. One part plugs to the Crank shaft sensor and then I have this other piece that plugs somewhere just not sure where.

Is it the temp sensor in the drivers side head? I can’t go look at my truck right now but I want to say that the crank sensor harness is in the same wire loom as the temp sensor that runs to the driver said head.

I dont have any books that new so i would not be of much help in identifying by the wire colors.
Does that plug have one wire or two and, if possible can you see what the colors of the wires are ?
Someone in the forum will be sure to have a schematic and will be able to identify that harness.
Maybe bring in one of the resident professionals, LOL
Hey, @THEFERMANATOR You got a minit ?

Is it the temp sensor in the drivers side head? I can’t go look at my truck right now but I want to say that the crank sensor harness is in the same wire loom as the temp sensor that runs to the driver said head.
No it's on the passenger side under a pulley at the 7 o'clock position.

That plug goes across under the timing cover and plugs into the Evo solenoid in the back of your power steering pump if I'm not mistaken.

Back